Spit Rotisserie for BBQ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping to get my hands on a Microwave turntable motor very soon, and I'd like to adapt it for the BBQ.
The BBQ is brick built with a set height for the 'charcoal burner' shelf. The cooking shelf can be set at different heights.
So I'm looking for a similar arrangement for the spit rotisserie.
I have a 240 V socket alongside the BBQ, so it's just the height adjustable mechanism I need ideas on. i suspect I have or can easily get hold of the actual spit.
I'd like to cut a slot in the brickwork on the motor side so that the motor is away from the heat. I can do this relatively easy with a cutting disc on a 9" grinder.

Whether the motor is solidly mounted and some arrangement is available for the adjustment of the drive, or whether the motor is adjustable with the height of the shelf, I don't mind.

I'm thinking of a metal strip mounted vertically, with vee notches to accept the spit, on each side of the BBQ.
I've no idea how I'm going to connect the motor to the spit.
So if anyone has already done something like this, I'd be grateful for ideas and comments.

Sponsored Links
I think the microwave motor would incorporate a significant reduction drive - usually courtesy of a rubber belt - so one of the tasks would be to mount the large pulley onto the rotisserie and then solidly mount the motor to keep the belt in tension, sort of cassette style. So to alter the height of the rotisserie the complete item could be lifted and positioned as one.
Not the easiest thing to accomplish!
John :)

OK, I must admit I have no idea what the underside of a microwave looks like.

Edit, I just found this:
upload_2016-9-8_20-24-53.png

Well, it seems like that motor is internally geared to produce 2.5 to 3 RPM so therefore it can be connected directly....however, can I see a marking that says 12v AC :eek: ?
If that's the case it'll need its power supply module too.
To protect it from heat it'll have to be remote from the rotisserie so a drive shaft of some description will be needed.....maybe a flexible one.

Sponsored Links
The motor that I'm planning on using is from a micro/convection/grill type of combination oven so can I expect it to have some in-built protection against heat?
Granted, it's mounted at the bottom of the turntable, but I would plan on mounting it t'other side of the brickwork from the BBQ.

Combination ovens are well lagged against heat transfer.....as that one seems to be direct drive then its better to deal with the heat than most.
As the rotisserie is presumably meant to be adjustable in its height above the heat source, then the motor would have to be adjustable too......a series of accurately drilled holes in the adjoining brickwork perhaps through which a flexible drive system could be passed?
I guess we'd need to see the end of the rotisserie that you intend to drive, to see what coupling we could come up with.
Can you confirm the specification of that motor for us? There may be alternatives if a complex power supply is needed.

i just googled and argos sell a plastic cased mains operated one for £20

doesn't look that insulated or anything

As the rotisserie is presumably meant to be adjustable in its height above the heat source, then the motor would have to be adjustable too......a series of accurately drilled holes in the adjoining brickwork perhaps through which a flexible drive system could be passed?
I was considering a vertical slot in the brickwork.

I guess we'd need to see the end of the rotisserie that you intend to drive, to see what coupling we could come up with.
The motors on sale seem to be designed for 8mm or 10mm spits. My existing one is 6mm.

Can you confirm the specification of that motor for us? There may be alternatives if a complex power supply is needed.
I haven't got the motor yet, that is to say, it's still being used. But because the platter has broken in half, and I can't find a suitable replacement I might have to replace the microwave. So, as yet, I don't know the spec' of the motor.

i just googled and argos sell a plastic cased mains operated one for £20

doesn't look that insulated or anything
They appear to be designed for 8mm or 10mm spits. Mine is 6mm. I might have to buy a new 8mm yet.

Might well be too weak to turn a spit given the weight and torque involved. The microwave turntable runs smoothly on wheels , very little power being needed.

Might well be too weak to turn a spit given the weight and torque involved. The microwave turntable runs smoothly on wheels , very little power being needed.
my thoughts exactly you will need somthing about 5 to ten time the power unless your spit ends are on roller bearings and the spit is completely balanced
if your not balance then you need the power to lift the extra weight beyond the 9/3 oclock position

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back