Spliced RSJ help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Could someone please give me an idea of whether adding an extra splice to an RSJ affects its load bearing capacity?The steels are fixed together with bolted plates.

Sponsored Links
I think you're asking the question the wrong way around. Normally you'd get a beam designed to your requirements including loads and splices required, the the SE would provide a spec.
Adding a splice would only affect the strength if the splice was weaker then the plain beam.

Hi John, thanks for your reply. The issue is that the SE calculated for a beam with 1 splice and the fabricators made it the specified size but with 2 splices. Does the extra splice matter? Thanks

Not sure tbh, you'll have to ask the SE and he can calculate back from the result. I think it depends on the stress profile in the beam which can vary significantly along it's length

Sponsored Links
Probably not but the person to answer that question is the engineer who designed the original splice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back