Split BNC signal 6 ways?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a front door camera and would like to feed the images to 4 screens around the house and to DVR. I thought that there would be a adapter that can do this, but at the moment I can only find max a 4 way splitter . I have found powered amps that can split more but these are powered. Is there a reason it wouldn't be possible to split the signal 6 ways? Any suggestion of a way to do this? Can I just use daisychained 2 splitter

Sponsored Links
The driver may not have the signal power to feed that many receivers, signal quality may also be seriously effected.

Nozzle

It would be better to run back to the DVR and then split the video feed from that to the TVs. The bonus being when you add more cameras you won’t need to split each camera you just need to run to DVR

How does the DVR output it to 6 screens? I thought there is only one output port and the option are how many of the input signals to show on there.

Sponsored Links
The big question is what camera format ( cvbs / TVI / CVI / ip ect ) is at the front door ? Not all splitters support the above formats !

If you've using composite video this ought to work https://www.amazon.co.uk/Milkee-Distribution-Amplifier-Monitoring-Broadcast-1-8-out/dp/B06ZZRLJ48

EDIT Aah, you wanted a passive splitter. Not going to happen- if you do daisychain a load of passive splitters you'll have rubbish signal at each output. That jobbie above only needs 9v so it could be a few metres from nearest 13A socket

Current setup just had them connected together. I haven't yet opened the tape to see exactly what they did. Can you just twist around BNC cables to get a signal?

In general passively splitting composite video isn't a great idea, you will likely get some signal through but it is likely to be marred by signal reflections. Especially if the cable runs are long.

If you must split then an active splitter is the way to go.

Some proffesional CCTV monitors have a "hi-z" switch, this disables the termination resistors in the monitor allowing a passive T peice to be used without screwing up the impedance, but for best results the connection from the T piece to the HI-Z monitor must be as short as possible (ideally the T peice is directly attatched to the back of the monitor).

edit: oops said the opposite of what I intended to say, edited to fix.

Last edited:
Ok, I opened the tape and all it was was 4 rg59 stripped and twisted together and screws info a connector block. I stripped the new one and twisted it together and it works.I may be losing quality but it isn't noticable to me and it works... Most definitely not the correct way. Thanks for all input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back