Split fencepost - any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just put in some picket fencing - tanalised wood which I want to weather. I've paid a bit extra to get a nice planed finish on all the timber and it's looking really good. I've just come back from holiday to find one of the 4"X4" fenceposts has split down the middle from the top to about two-thirds of the way down on the front side (facing the street). The split hasn't gone through to the back but it's still pretty deep.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to avoid the split worsening? I'm prepared to put up with it as it is - after all it will eventually add to the weathered look. I don't want to go through the hassle of replacing the post as everything will have to come out - fence rails and pickets as well.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
basically nothing. the wood will split if it wants to. if you think it will worsen, then change the post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back