Split heat pump air conditioner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I have purchased a second hand 24000btu AC unit to heat my garage (DIY room). I have asked a quotation to have it commissioned (it's already in place) and the price I was asked is - IMHO - too high to spend on a £50 unit.

I am happy to do that myself, I found online a very cheap vacuum pump with gauges and hoses. Hopefully the unit was properly commissioned so I won't need extra gas.
I have seen this done a few times but I do appreciate any advice on the matter - particularly on how to read the gauges!

I understand that I will need to create a vacuum first but I am not really sure of what to connect where and what to look for.

Cheers!
Tony

Sponsored Links
Tried an automotive air con guy?
Be aware that you need to handle any refrigerant properly , by law.

I didn't think of an automotive guy. Do you think they'll have tools that can be carried around? I've always seen big machines on wheels.
Thanks for your advice. I'll make sure I am not doing anything unlawful :)

If there is there an HVAC expert on these forums, I have a question.
The low pressure valve on my unit is 1/2" and for the life of me I cannot find a gauge manifold for sale with a 1/2" connector at the end of the hoses - only 1/4". What am I missing?

Sponsored Links
There will be an adaptor to facilitate the connection.
If you've fitted flare nut connections the pipe work should be pressure tested and checked for leaks..

Thanks Roger,
I haven't fitted the copper hoses yet. I am looking into a vacuum pump and gauge manifold to make the vacuum and test the flare connections. However I measured the service port and it's 1/2". All the equipment I find online is 1/4" and it seems that R410a gas should use either 1/4" or 5/16". I believe I have found ONE seller on ebay (in the UK) selling a 1/2" to 1/4" adaptor and I am kind of concerned I may be on the wrong end of the stick here!

F gas course is around £1500, that might help you read the gauges properly. (y)

If I were a pro I wouldn't be on a DIY forum, what do you think? What kind of reply was that?
I have to say I had to check the home page to make sure this was a DIY forum. It's the second time in just two threads that I receive those rude and patronising answers. I'd like to answer in kind but I am sure I would break the forums' rules. If you are not interested in helping me, just please post somewhere else - I'm sure others will find your contributions more helpful.

You can’t DIY an f gas installation so what sort of answer did you expect?
Won’t do you any good getting all wound up, maybe you could use those spare gauges to check your blood pressure?

No need to be polite.
I’m just advising it’s not really a DIY type job.
If you don’t know how to do it you’re doing more harm than good.
You crack on, very much doubt you’ll get any professional advice on it here.

I am happy to take that kind of advice. But you can post your patronising and sarcastic contibutions somewhere else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back