Splitter wall plate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 single satellite wall plates in one room, one works fine the other doesn’t. On removing the working wall plate I find a second coax cable (unconnected) running to the second wall plate. Is there a way to split/join/ extend the first wall plate to the second? I would like to use the second wall plate.
Running new cables is not an option.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Some free sat receivers have an input and output and you can feed to output to a second box.

But the satellite box talks to the LNB and sets some of it's functions so the second box will be limited by the settings of first box and it is not very successful as changing channel on one box can stop the other working.

There are some complex boxes that will allow satellite feeds to many boxes but very expensive and not really an option in most homes.

Thanks Eric, I understand what your saying but what I’m wanting to do is get the second faceplate to work by joining or splitting it from the first faceplate. The coax is in place I just don’t know a way of making the connection. I want to move telly, set box etc. to the other side of the room without exposed cables.

Sponsored Links
If you can live with a small loop of coax visible then one option may be to replace the first wallplate with a double plate.

Then when you want to use your equipment at location 1 you just connect it as before, when you want to use it at location 2 you connect a short loop of cable between the two sockets at location 1 to feed the signal through to location 2.

If you live in flats, ask the building management company to get in contact with the IRS installaters, and get them round to fix it, or seek their permission to have one of these installed http://globalinvacom.com/products/scr.php

If it's in a home with your own dish, then get someone to fix one of these http://globalinvacom.com/products/sds.php but you'll need to replace the wall plate with a brush plate.

Very odd to have two single points in one room.

Silverlight: yes it is odd, I think it was a well intentioned DIY’er who then ran up against the same problem I have.

Plugwash: until I find a better way (and there probably isn’t !!) your “loop” method will be the answer.
Thanks for all replies

Plugwash,
Just a thought, could I fit a deep dual face plate and hide a conventional splitter behind one half, connect one ‘split feed’ to the other half of the dual face place, the other ‘split feed’ connected to the second cable leading to location 2? I fear it may be tight for space. It would be a tidier option if its technically ok to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back