Splitting a property on one water supply.

Sponsored Links
We owned a house with a workshop on the side. I fed water from the house and connected the garage we waste to the house drain. We moved out in 1995, splitting the properties. I have a gentlemans agreement with the owner of the house which has an unmetered water supply - I use their water and, due to the way the kitchen is built, they drain their washing machine and dishwasher waste into my workshop and out through my drain. I haven't paid any water/sewerage rates since 1995. I have plans to replace the workshop with a couple of flats so obviously I'll need to get a 'proper' metered supply to the two flats. Haven't started pricing anything up yet - any rough guesses on the price for that? As it will be a new supply, do I need two supplies or one split one - in other words, is there a cheaper way for doing this? How does it work when a house is converted to flats - surely they don't have seperate supplies installed, do they?

How does it work when a house is converted to flats - surely they don't have seperate supplies installed, do they?
Going by the four blue pipe ends sticking up from the garden in front of a house being converted to flats the answer ( in this case ) is YES

We owned a house with a workshop on the side. I fed water from the house and connected the garage we waste to the house drain. We moved out in 1995, splitting the properties. I have a gentlemans agreement with the owner of the house which has an unmetered water supply - I use their water and, due to the way the kitchen is built, they drain their washing machine and dishwasher waste into my workshop and out through my drain. I haven't paid any water/sewerage rates since 1995.
It might be a good idea to sort out your neighbour's drainage before the workshop is sold/converted so that they have an existing "proper" drain which would of course have been inspected by BC:whistle:

Sponsored Links
It is always expected now that each individual flat will have it's own supply from the street.

I know of one which was converted about 1980 without separate supplies and is on four floors. When lower users take water the top flat does not get any.

The EHO is serving a Notice on the Freeholder to fit new internal supply pipes which will be quite a cost as the fire regulations mean there are few open stairs and so routing the pipes will be difficult.

Motman, I'm not sure about the rules but you can buy meter boxes from places like Ashworth Frazers. If you can fit them on your property it would save the expense of a footpath/road opening.

Even better if you could tee them off the original supply pipe once it's within your boundary and remove the original meter from the box on the public footpath.

Next door isn't on a meter and all I did was run two 15mm pipes (hot and cold) through an air brick (the house was end terrace and the workshop is on the end of that). The hot has long been disconnected. I doubt whether I'd get away with teeing off one 15mm pipe into two properties - the pressure drops in the workshop when they have a tap on. I think the feed from the house is still an old lead pipe. I was wondering whether they do one new double size feed pipe from the mains and then split that going through two meters. I'm still a long way off of that stage yet - still waiting for planning permission at the moment.

All the recent ones I have noticed in London have seemed to have individual connections to the main.

But then I don't see many and what is under the ground is unknown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back