Splitting HDMI input

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I’ve got a Optoma HD20 projector that’s linked via a HDMI cable to a Blu-ray player.

I’ve also got an Amazon Firestick and I’d like to watch movies on the projector but the projector doesn’t have a separate sound output.

Is there a “device” that will split the HDMI signal from the Firestick into video output (for the projector) and audio output (for the surround system)?

I’ve seen a few things on eBay but most of these look cheap and nasty. Can anybody recommend a suitable way of doing this?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
If all you need is an audio feed, then an audio de-embedder will do the trick.

The HDMI passes through it via the HDMI IN and OUT sockets, and along the way it decodes and separates audio in to either plain stereo (red/white phono sockets) or digital audio for 5.1 DD & DTS via an Optical audio connector. There's a three-position switch to select Pass (no action), 2Ch (stereo on phonos), 5.1 (DD/DTS on Optical).

If your install you'd have a long HDMI running up to the projector. On the other end of that cable you plug in this box; connect to HDMI OUT on the box. On the other side of the box there's a HDMI IN. That's where you connect your Firestick.

A lot of these things come out of the same factory somewhere in the Far East. This one from Amazon is £13.00 LINK

If you want better sound then an AV Receiver with a 5.1 speaker kit is what you should be looking at. Prices range from roughly £250 to over £10,000

Thanks Lucid,

I’ve got a very old Sony DVD-Amp for 5.1 sound but this doesn’t have HDMI.

What you’ve linked to looks like it will do the job so I’ll order one and connect the sound output to the Sony via the optical port.

Thanks again for your help - much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back