Splitting major renovation extension for individual trades

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have come to the conclusion that the renovation works carried out in full by a main builder or contractor would be too expensive.

I have now hired a separate electrician and is looking to get a plumber/ gas engineer but have hit a sticky point on the actual build works.

How to i organise individual trades for the remaining works which includes:
- remove existing steels in extension
- put in more steels (getting steels costed, includes 'goal post', and supports for two additional openings)
- add extra 3x3 bathroom on top of existing 2nd storey bathroom)

Flooring and kitchen can be done by individual trades

any ideas?

Many builders are not interested in pricing just the 'shell' as the money to be made is in the finish (although they keep saying they loose money on the finish)

Sponsored Links
I suspect your conclusion is wrong and that you will end up paying more, being that you have no experience of building project management and that it takes a lot of work and knowledge to coordinate different trades on a site so that things are done right first time, and achieve a good finish. If you have a full-time job I wouldn't even consider it. If you're lucky you might find a day rate joiner who knows a bit about building regs and be willing to work full-time on your job and site-manage the other trades to a degree (keep an eye on them so they don't do something that will cause issues later; liaise between you and the other trades etc? You say it's an extension as well as renovation, so what about the roof? roughing out? insulation? windows? plastering? decorating? Sparks and plumbers are only a fraction of work compared to the building & joinery. As the client you will have plenty to think about and do, as 1st-time project manager hiring trades who don't know or work with each other already you'll be over budget, behind schedule and very stressed in no time. How much are you hoping to save, and how was the budget determined?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back