What different trades do I need to build an extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the beginning stages of planning a rear single storey extension, knocking through to the existing building Thining about managing the project myself, I think these are the different trades I will need (roughly in order).

Drawings
Structural Engineer for steel calcs
Groundworks (foundations - floor slab)
Plumber (in case of drains and running pipes under flooring)
Brick Layers
Roofer
French Door/Window Fitter
Builder to knock through wall and insert RSJ
Electrics
Plumber again
Finishing (plaster, decorate etc)

Can anyone offer any advice as to whether this seems in the right order or if I've missed anything.

I appreciate things will come up that mean I may need to insert trades at different points - but is this a sound starting point?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Plumbers do not fit drains and they certainly do not do any excavation work.

You say you will self-project manage. Does this mean you are on site during the day, i.e. work from home?

The management side of things is all about being familiar with merchants, materials and when and where they are needed as well as having a good grasp of the trades and tradesmen.

There can be many uncomfortable things that get thrown up during a building project whereby all the workmen will turn a look at the project manager to 'sort it out', whilst looking convincingly dumb. Be prepared to get sworn at. :mrgreen:

Plumbers do not fit drains and they certainly do not do any excavation work.

You say you will self-project manage. Does this mean you are on site during the day, i.e. work from home?

The management side of things is all about being familiar with merchants, materials and when and where they are needed as well as having a good grasp of the trades and tradesmen.

There can be many uncomfortable things that get thrown up during a building project whereby all the workmen will turn a look at the project manager to 'sort it out', whilst looking convincingly dumb. Be prepared to get sworn at. :mrgreen:

I thought about posting it three times but twice may be enough.

Stupid buttons!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back