Extension - Builder top do the shell what other trades do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

Our builder is going to build the shell for our double storey extension, and will fit the doors/bifolds.

What other trades people will I need?

Plumber/Gas Engineer - for the pipe work and fitting the rads, and plumbing
Sparky
Kitchen fitter
Plasterer

Anyone else I might need or have overlooked?

Sponsored Links
Hey,

Our builder is going to build the shell for our double storey extension, and will fit the doors/bifolds.

What other trades people will I need?

Plumber/Gas Engineer - for the pipe work and fitting the rads, and plumbing
Sparky
Kitchen fitter
Plasterer

Anyone else I might need or have overlooked?
Roof trades i.e. carpenter and roof tiler.

Floor/wall finishes - i.e. ceramic tiler, Karndean type floor layer and one experienced in floor levelling etc. Laminate?

HETAS - wood-burner?

External render?

Someone to do the knock-through and fit the steel beams. Someone to fit the insulation in the loft. Someone to make sure the upstairs windows comply to escape reg's in both size and sill height. Someone to clad the steel beams compliant to fire reg's. Someone to make sure vents are installed where needed. Someone to remind plumbers and electricians of reg's compliance.

Sponsored Links
That will be me, but I'll make sure they have a good supply of coffee pods.
Coffee pods are the devils spawn!
Fresh ground beans are they only way to have coffee, and the grounds are recyclable!

You’ll be needing bickies if you want a half decent job.

A surveyor to check that all these dysfunction trades actually do the jobs they are contracted to do to an acceptable standard and reasonable cost.

A surveyor to check that all these dysfunction trades
There a loads of tricks as well as compliance stuff that amateurs miss. Especially when a job is fractured into a collection of trades with the customer running the show.
Our last two storey job would have failed on the windows, had I stuck to the architects' drawings and put the bedroom window sills level with the existing. We help the plumbers and sparks by pre-empting stuff. For example, I asked the customers to get the shower tray (for their new shower room we were building) so that I could set out the floor joists and arrange them to miss the shower waste. We also fitted Posi Joists and fed in a piece of 110mm plastic drain so that the plumber just needed to put fittings on the ends to connect the WC.

There a loads of tricks as well as compliance stuff that amateurs miss. Especially when a job is fractured into a collection of trades with the customer running the show.
Our last two storey job would have failed on the windows, had I stuck to the architects' drawings and put the bedroom window sills level with the existing. We help the plumbers and sparks by pre-empting stuff. For example, I asked the customers to get the shower tray (for their new shower room we were building) so that I could set out the floor joists and arrange them to miss the shower waste. We also fitted Posi Joists and fed in a piece of 110mm plastic drain so that the plumber just needed to put fittings on the ends to connect the WC.
Yes that's right.

I often find that individual trades are only concerned about their job, not the job. And the client is none the wiser to the bigger picture.

Nothing beats being experienced and conscientious.

In my experience, builders spend years getting a good team of subbies which use from one job to the next -the benefits are that the subbies know each other and because the builder uses them all the time, he has lots of leverage to get them to work to the schedule

Ive been on on projects where the client has self managed, it tends not to work too well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back