Splurge of water ingression during heavy rain.

We've had some heavy rain over the past week and not a peep of water ingression to the concerned ceiling has occurred.

I can therefore say with a degree a confidence that the roof was never the problem and that the water ingression has come from the two water exhaust pipes, that have been 'covered up' by the extension build.

As I've resolved the water coming out these exhaust pipes, it is no longer an essential job that needs to be carried out quickly. My plan is to install a loft-hatch next summer, go inside the loft space and see what I can do about these two pipes.

In the meantime, I have a question:

What are builders supposed to do when attaching an extension onto an external wall that has water exhaust pipes coming out of it?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sounds like you’ve sorted it.

Exactly the same thing happened when I had a ground floor extension built, the builder plaster-boarded over what was previously an external wall with an overflow from the 1st floor toilet. Unknown to us initially, the toilet cistern had an issue of intermittent sticking and kept overflowing and causing damp marks/staining inside the extension. We also thought it was rainwater and it took a while and a fair bit of plaster damage to work out the issue.

Funnily enough we had another toilet in the house incident where an overflow terminated within the eaves of the converted loft… exactly the same thing happened , but this time into an upstairs bedroom :rolleyes:

in both cases , fitting an internal overflow in the cistern fixed the issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back