Spoilt my plastering!

Sticking a bit of felt under the tiles and into the gutter is pointless if the water is running down a rafter - it'll run underneath it. When it rains get into the loft and have a good look at what you can see.

Sponsored Links
Ok.... so are these all cheap and easy things to fix?

Does checking for broken tile mean taking lots off?

When I asked for roofer quotes, one actually took me up on the roof (only quite low pitched so not too daunting! ;) ) and he showed me what he'd found earlier, to explain.
He carefully lifted a tile or so to inspect the ones underneath. We had to inspect/lift a few before we found a broken one under. When he found a broken one, he carefully lifted a couple of tiles so we could see the felt, revealing some rotted batten sections (but rotted only in places near the broken ones).
All tiles were carefully replaced, so he didn't put any of the pins through the felt in placing them back.

The quote was not that expensive (from memory £100-200) to replace 20 broken tiles and renew where the battens had rotted. I guess it may depend on the types of your tiles and getting access under them etc, but I would hope a roofer can just replace where needed (should it turn out to be this contributing).

I'm so fed up with this problem.... as you can probably tell!!!
Doh!
Hang in there :)

Hi Alastair,

Thanks for thinking about me...... finally managed to get my builder round this morning to looks at the problem we've been talking about. We went up in the loft space and you can see along the ridge there's slight signs of white marks but nothing too obvious.

I guess all it needs it a slight amount of water to get past the felt and it'll travel down the timber to the bottom where the water is showing?

His suggestion is basically to give him £2000 to remove all the tiles to the front section of the house and to re-felt and re-baton. He suggested the the ridge tiles need to come off and the felt needs lapping over this are and completely re-doing.

I have to say that as you look at our house and the right hand side of the roof is the part that hits our row of terraced houses and we're probably taking the worst of all the prevailing weather on this front corner of the house.

He's not given me a accurate complete figure yet but his breakdown of costs is as follows.....

£500 scaffolding
£200 for a couple of rolls of felt
then a weeks laborplus other materials on top.

Not sure if it'll help to post up and more photos of the inside of the loft? Not sure how/if the would come out with it being so dark up there. I mean there are a few patched of light showing through and there's one bit of felt that's hanging down quite badly where they've disruppted it run a TV aerial cable in the loft.

Here's some photo's from the inside of the wet patch which as you can see I've taken down the stud all in this room as I need to move it to accommodate the new shower! Pain but all worth it in the end!

I guess I'm crying out for a roofing expert in the locality to give a second opion on his £2000 figures?!

Here's a couple of photo in the mean time.......

Sponsored Links
If the damp is running down from the ridge then just re-bed the ridge. He's obviously not competent or he wouldn't have done all the other stuff first. He'd have got into the loft as I suggested.

If the damp is running down from the ridge then just re-bed the ridge. He's obviously not competent or he wouldn't have done all the other stuff first. He'd have got into the loft as I suggested.

my sentiments exactly.........get another couple of quotes chris,to get ridges redone and roof repaired does not cost 2k.

Cool cool cool!

Any ideas how to go about getting someone in to give me a idea of costs?

Is it best going to a big company or is it best using local individual roofing companies?

It looks to me like there's 3-4 of the rafters (the wood I can see inside the loft) that could be a little damp (and by this I mean.... not stone dry but slightly damp). I'm guessing from what you're saying this could could be patched rather than re-felting the whole flipping roof?!

Regarding the scaffolding.... is it essntial that this will be needed... my builder said it was due to the amount of tiles he'd have to off to re-do the roof (basically all the tiles!) and he needed someone strong enough to put them while he was working.

Please don't shoot me with the above I'm only passing on the bad/good news! lol I nearly had a heart attack when he said £2k to do the work!

Cheers guys.

You need scaffold to do the whole roof, but not bedding the ridge tiles and replacing the occasional slate/tile.

Is it best going to a big company or is it best using local individual roofing companies?

I'm not surprised you nearly had a cardiac - 2k not cheap.

Personally, I prefer not to go with a big national-type company.

My first port of call would be to ask friends, relatives, colleagues in the area if there are any recommendations they have of good local companies.
If that didn't provide a few options.... I have used a website that is supposed to be a bit more controlled (topworkmen) where I could derive a shortlist to ask. The customer feedback was useful in helping decide - wanted to see some entries.
I think there is also a roofing body (NFRC), who can probably suggest someone.

I would not feel comfortable just pulling random contractors from Yell.

I think as regards this builder, he has had ample chance to sort your problem and seems to be unable to do so.
If you're looking to pay out more money, go elsewhere. ;)

Do yourself a big favour and work it out for yourself.
Water isn't magic, and it should be obvious what's happening when you get up in there when it's raining in the right direction.

Water should never get under the tiles, but if it did (freak wind, broken tile, loose ridge) it should trickle down the felt and into the gutter.
Bituminous felt get's brittle and weak in time (eg 20 yrs - but less if it catches lots of leaks). What's yours like?

Even if the ridge tiles are loose, the felt should wrap over it, and still catch any drips.
Quite often felt gets damaged along the bottom edge when numpty roofers or diyers move the bottom tile to inspect or climb on the roof and put a toe through the felt. Any leaks then trickling down will end up.....in your bedroom!

Replacing just the bottom run of felt is also an option and only means moving the bottom 3 or 4 rows of tiles. Almost a diy job really.

If your going to move that stud wall, you might prefer to pull off a bit of ceiling and carry out your foul weather inspection from there.

I think if you're sharp enough to work out how to cure your problem with a "patch", you have to tell your roofer/builder exactly what you want him to do, and not leave him to decide on your behalf. Otherwise you might keep going in circles.

Good luck

Change your builder, this job has all the hallmarks of milking it; & those prices are something else :rolleyes:

PS. & make sure you use the right materials when yo reconstruct that shower wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back