Spoilt my plastering!

I know the mods don't like duplicates - but it may be possible to request they move it to the roofing forum.
I've seen them do it for incorrect posts from the outset.
May be see how you go here for now (a lot read all the forums).
If it goes a bit cold, then request the mods consider it and click the alert moderators button.

If you've not done already, a search in the roofing and/or building forum may not go a miss for similar posts on leaks.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
First of all if you are going to repair cracks in render then you must take the render off at least 12" either side of the crack. And then you open up the crack and pack in a "dry mix"to fill it out, then you mesh over the whole area and scratch it then render it and feather it in to the surrounding render. By the look of the cracks he has "patched" I dont think that this would of cured anything. Also if you look at the pictures you posted then you will see quite a few more cracks that haven't been "dressed". In my experience most of the damp problems inside of house's are caused by cracks in the render, and I think that your problem is that. But I also agree with what the other lads say and all these things must be sorted. Oh and sack your builder!!!!!!

The second picture (outside) posting a larger picture won't help, if you stand outside under that corner on the ground and look up
between the fascia and the gutter you'll see the sky through the gap or a light colour membrane.
But I don't think that is where its getting in, I think its higher up and running down the inside and coming off where the felt meet
the wall plate.
Have you been in the loft, armed with a bright torch and look in this corner when its raining if not then that is where you should start,
look at the rafters as well as it may be running down them all the way from the ridge.

The collar on the down pipe is broken I see and a crack in the render behind it, that might be your cause but its a bit lower than
where the damp is inside.

I have also noticed that if you look at the pic of the revel and the window it looks like the window has not been sealed and this would allow water to get in ....Pic 2.....

Sponsored Links
got to agree with you Roy c, on the cracked render front, a lot of water that runs down rendered wall do pass through any cracks.

Looking at it a few times I am now convinced that the problem is the window revel and the water is tracking up..I think if the water was coming down from above there would be a larger area of damp on the top of the wall..... Are the internal revels Bonded? it looks like it......

that's not a square wall to ceiling, the ceiling slope down to just above the window head. ( can't think of the name for it)

Guys..... I SO appreciate you're discussion on this and your bouncing ideas around.... you depth of knowledge and expertise is realy helping the situation that was beggining to give me nightmares!

Please continue to bounch them around... just wanted to add my thanks to all you're doing and suggesting.

And anyone who is getting 90-99% sure they know what the problem is is hugely welcomed on this thread too!!!!

Cheers.

I dont think that that would make any difference "Marshy" I still think the water is tracking up. It would probably be better to pull that board off and see whats behind. I personally would get a ladder up and run a hose on that area and move it up slowly and see if any water comes in.....Then if you get no joy then hose that area of roof down starting at the bottom and working your way up.....

I personally would get a ladder up and run a hose on that area and move it up slowly and see if any water comes in.....

yep,

Bl00dy nightmare these problems but the hose is a good way to finding it.
I've got to go and get some sleep I'm up at 4.30 so good night,
I'll look in tomorrow night.

1/ no felt lapping into gutter at eaves.......apart from a token couple of feet your builder charged you £100 for.

2/ RWP broken.

3/ cracks to area around rainwater pipe and swan neck.

4/ sealant to top r/h/s of reveal needs redoing.

solutions:

get the roof checked for cracked/broken tiles.

get the eave detail sorted out properly by a competent person View media item 10963
replace the rainwater pipe.

get the window sealed.

repair the cracks to the rendering properly as already stated.

personally i would say its a roofing issue though all of the above certainly merits attention.

good luck.

You say....
daylight between the fascia board and the gutter? I'm not sure I understand exactly what I shuld be seeing here? Is this somethign easily fixed? Do you think this is the cause of all our problems?

you should look up and see nothing between the gutter and fascia board as felt from the roof should be lapping over and into the gutter.

your builder should have done this if he was trying to cure the water ingress problem.

he's incompetent IMO :confused:

Ok.... so are these all cheap and easy things to fix?

alastair you say.....

1. no felt lapping into the gutter at eaves... and then a remark about the token £100 - what do you mean?
2. RWP broken? what do you mean?
4. sealant to top of reveal needs redoing?

Does checking for broken tile mean taking lots off?

I'm so fed up with this problem.... as you can probably tell!!!

Doh!

Ok.... so are these all cheap and easy things to fix?

alastair you say.....

http://www.klober.co.uk/product2.php?id=26
2. RWP broken? what do you mean?
4. sealant to top of reveal needs redoing?

Does checking for broken tile mean taking lots off?

I'm so fed up with this problem.... as you can probably tell!!!

Doh!

chris if your builder had addressed these problems properly in the first place you would'nt be going round in circles like this!!!.

you have no felt coming off your roof lapping into the gutter barring the small piece of felt he has inserted just above the window, this can be seen from the ground looking up you can see daylight between the gutter and fascia apart from the dark bit where he has renewed a slip of felt.
when the fascia boards and soffit plates were renewed it is always good practice to install eave trays or equivalent........this was not done.

checking for broken tiles is just a visual scan of the roof tiles checking and replacing any which are cracked or broken.

your cast iron rainwater pipe is corroded and needs replaced.

the silicone sealant around the bedroom window needs redone as it is clearly missing at the top right hand corner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back