Spongy Laminate Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks for viewing my post.

I've laid down laminate flooring on a uneven subfloor. (sub floor, Underlay, laminate)

its become spongy (all over) and we can hear the floorboard while walking on them. like a boom of air when stepped on.

I know now that an uneven floor would do something like this. but at the time I didn't. Problems with first time (house) buyers and being strapped for cash.

We cant afford to have it taken up and the subfloor fix.

what could be our solutions? We dont mind getting a expert round to do the job but im hoping he/she could do something like one of the following.

drill a whole and use expanding foam

or

drill all the boards and use a screw with removable head to secure it down.

I dont know what im talking about so please be kind, but would any of these ideas work?

any other advice would be amazing

thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
Did you leave a 10.mm gap all around the new Laminate and either the Skirting or wall?

Ken

If you laid the laminate you can surely lift it....
Is the subfloor moving or is it just very uneven (so air gap under laminate)?
If the latter, one lash-up to try is
Lift laminate and underlay (leave the polythene down, if there isn't any then put some down)
Chuck some sand on the polythene, use a straight edge to give you a flat surface.
Once you have a flat surface, put another layer of polythene down, then underlay, then laminate.
Not sure how long this lash-up would last for, a more permanent job would be self levelling compound but that's expensive and would raise floor height by at least 3mm...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back