spot lights in bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone first post here, i want change center light in bedroom for 6 spotlights! The way the loft is its hard to loop in and out to each spot light! My question is can you have a JB in center and run one lead to each spot light?

Sponsored Links
ah, so, you need advice on downlighters!
Looks like you've come to the right place :D
Im sure the will be someone along shortly who will be more than happy to impart their opinions of such items.

have a nice day!

The answer to your question is yes, you can have a junction box with a cable to each light.
The junction box must remain accessible (shouldn't be a problem if in the loft), and the box must be large enough to fit all of the cables in properly.

The downlighters must be sealed from the loft space, usually by placing a metal or plasterboard box over them. This will prevent warm air from the room getting into the loft and causing condensation. They will also avoid leaving huge holes in the loft insulation.

Thank you for the fast reply! Plasterboard box? Do you make them yourself are do you buy them? I have spots in bathroom but nothing in loft will have to do same with them then!
Ahh and would it be better to put them in chocblock then in chockbox?

Sponsored Links
There are metal efforts which can be used:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/JC94020.html
however they don't provide any kind of seal, which leaves the possibility of warm, moist air entering the loft space.

For plasterboard its just a case of buying a few sheets, cutting it into 12 inch squares and fixing 5 of them together in an open sided cube. Glue the joints, make a small hole for the cable to enter and glue the whole thing to the back of the ceiling over the light. (use adhesive such as http://www.screwfix.com/prods/73433 )

There are these caps:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLALC724.html
which look rather too small, and would probably result in overheating.

Some people suggest clay flowerpots, however you would need rather large ones, which will be very heavy, plus they have a hole in which should be sealed, and the edge would press onto the cable which might cause damage.

Some people suggest clay flowerpots, however you would need rather large ones, which will be very heavy, plus they have a hole in which should be sealed, and the edge would press onto the cable which might cause damage.
Although you would end up having a very pretty loft space -perhaps complemented by a few garden gnomes doing handstands?? :)

Thank you for the info will have a go making them! Got a few more jobs round the house so no doubt be here again soon! I am awear of part p so i stay away from what am not aloud to touch! Cheers guys

Tyler, do you have no thought for the environment?

I'm not sure if replacing a perfectly good 60watt lamp with 300watts of searchlights is a good use of the Earth's resources.

You'll next be thinking of fitting a dimmer because the room is too bright, or adding reading lights because the downlights are not in the right place.

Ooh 'eck, I've turned into BAS :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back