price to supply and fit spot lights in outer London

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
our loft conversion company is about to start work and the quote includes supply and fit a pendant light in loft bedroom.
To have spotlights instead is £65 per light + VAT.
I think it would need 8 spots so £624 extra for spotlights instead of pendant.
Is this the going rate for outer London?
As the electrician is here working anyway, I was expecting it to be less.
My brother charges £35 per spot in Manchester and is not vat registered.
Shame he is too busy to pop down for a bus man's holiday.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
To have spotlights instead is £65 per light + VAT.
That figure presumably includes the materials (primarily the spotlight itself)? If so, the figure presumably depends very much on which particular spotlight is being contemplated (and what it costs). You could pay more than that for each light (without fitting costs), if you really wanted to.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John, good point.
I presume it's supply and fit but I will check.
If it includes good quality fittings then maybe that's a good price.
I noticed screwfix have them for anywhere between £3 and £13 each, then there is cost of cabling as well

Thanks John, good point. I presume it's supply and fit but I will check. If it includes good quality fittings then maybe that's a good price. I noticed screwfix have them for anywhere between £3 and £13 each, then there is cost of cabling as well
I think you can pay a lot more than that "if you want to"!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Perhaps your loft should not have holes all over the ceiling and spaces above.
Although I admit that it probably does in this case, "spotlight" does not necessarily imply "recessed downlight". I would also add that true "spotlights" (narrow beam angle) are really not intended, or particularly suitable, for illuminating a room - although a lot of (much wider beam angle) downlights probably are.

Kind Regards, John

These spotlights….
I assume these will go in the sloping ceiling in the loft conversion?
If so, how would you do that as the space between the ceiling joists are supposed to be filled upo with Celotex-type insulation material?

Or are they just a row in a flat area below the ridge?

Yes, I meant recessed down lights, thank you John.
I think the roof joists on the dormer will be 170 mm deep so there is space for thick celotex and still have room for downlights. The sloping ceiling might be slightly slimmer joists I think.
Good point though that too many holes in the ceiling might not be ideal insulation wise. I like the look of downlights, except on the sloping ceiling where i think it looks odd.
Also we have them in other rooms and I always seem so be replacing bulbs.

Third time lucky ?? ....
upload_2016-2-19_15-12-57.png

Kind Regards, John

Good point though that too many holes in the ceiling might not be ideal insulation wise.
A loft converstion will be subject to Building regulations and inspection from Building Control.
They will reject anything that compromises the thermal qualities of the instlation and moisture barrier. So NO holes in the insulation!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back