Spot the mistake

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Part of somebody else's test results I viewed today - can anybody spot a possible problem.

Ring final circuit, single cables, 2.5mm² P+N, 1.5mm² cpc.
32A protective device.
End to end Phase resistance 1.02 ohms
End to end Neutral resistance 1.02 ohms.

etc etc etc

Sponsored Links
The phase and neutral end to end resistances are reading the same which is correct. I'd expect an R1+R2 of somewhere around 0.68 ohms providing it isn't in metalic conduit etc. Maximum tabulated Zs is 1.5ohms for assuming a B32 MCB, 1.2 ohms max measured. Providing the Ze is low enough it is fine.

Sponsored Links
Does the resistance seem a little on the high side, suggesting an expansive circuit?

I'm thinking it may be a little bit high on volt drop if all the loading is at the mid point?

Does the resistance seem a little on the high side, suggesting an expansive circuit?

Top of the class Mr Secure.

From my calculations the resistance of 2.5 (@20 deg) is 7.41mOhms/M

The circuit equates to around 141 metres.Lets say one of the double sockets at around mid point draws 20A.The VD of 2.5 singles in this instance is 18mV/A/M.Each even leg would draw 10A, 70.5M to mid point

(18*10*70.5)/1000 = 12.69V

That is without the VD of the sub-main to the DB feeding the circuit.

Scooby snack to 123 also ;)

Part of somebody else's test results I viewed today - can anybody spot a possible problem.

Ring final circuit, single cables, 2.5mm² P+N, 1.5mm² cpc.
32A protective device.
End to end Phase resistance 1.02 ohms
End to end Neutral resistance 1.02 ohms.

etc etc etc

32A MCB max Zs 1.2...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back