Spot Welder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased a spot welder (I am currently restoring a classic car)

The electrical installation states that the plug should be greater than or equal to 16A (so I assume industrial plug/socket is needed), the circuit breaker 20A and it should be fused by a 16A delayed fuse. I have never heard of delayed fuses what are they?

The instructions go into great detail but negated to state the amps. I am assuming that the unit will pull just under 16amp as they didn't recomend a 15A circuit breaker or am I missing something here?

Dave

Sponsored Links
I don't know where the 20amp bit comes from.

I would say a C or possibly a D type MCB rated at 16amp would be fine. You could use a 20amp, and this would still be fine, and comply.

I would use a BS4343 CEEFORM socket outlet.

You need to ensure the cable is sized correctly for the current and volt drop, and also sized to ensure a low enough earth loop impedance when using devices such as C and D type MCB's

An RCD may also be required.

I would recommend an electrician install and test the circuit for you.

You bet they didn't mention the amps!

Spot welders (other than cheapo toys) pass high current for only a few cycles. You don't need a circuit that meets the current requirement continuously.

Same thing with your computer. It will take a switch-on surge of around 80 amp but you still run it from a 13A plug.

Unlike the computer, a spot welder will take the high current for a good deal longer (but still less that a second). You have to go with the manufacturer's recommendations unless you have the gear to do some testing.

Delayed fuses will allow a high current transient but will blow on sustained overload. You might be able to use a mcb, but I'm sure the usual type B would not do. Again, you have to seek the manufacturer's advice.

I have a spot welder so can advise you here :D

A 16A industrial socket with a 20A Type C Breaker using 2.5mm t&e (depending on distance) 4.0mm if you want overkill.. will be fine.

They WILL NOT run from a 13A Plug without blowing the fuse.. (i know as mine came with a 13a plug on it :eek: previous owner tried.. impressive as to how they got the plug on!

I actually use a 32A plug on mine as my sockets also power my 230A mig and my 200A AC/DC tig.

The actual contacts (copper bars are nearly an inch in dia and get hot!! - 2000 - 3000A iirc.. at 2 - 3v)

One tip is clean the metal on all 4 edges.. get it very close together and then spot weld it.. also I would use a weld through primer so you can prime the inner 2 edges.

Also drilling the panel and using self tappers to hold whilst alligning helps.

Also if you have a timer... wind it to max!!!

David

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies and even for the advice on use of the spot welder :D.

I currently have an old cu with plug in MCB's, with a couple of spare slots. There is no external isolation switch between the meter and cu. The electrical installation doesn't seem that old to me, when did they start using RCD + modern cu. I am guessing that the house was rewired in the 1980's. It has an inspection label dated 1988.

My garage is not an outbuilding and is connected to the house, approximately 3-4m from the cu. Any wiring would be through the roof space above the kitchen and down the garage wall for about 1m. My intention would be to use 4mm cable.

I have been browsing the internet and have been unable to find any type c MSB's for plugins, do they exist?

If not, I wonder if there is a configuration that I could still use a slot in the old cu and may be put a new small cu with type c msb +rcd in the garage to service the welder. I am assuming that I can't use a type b in the old cu, as this would trip.

Dave

if you board has a 100A incomer then you can fit a B40 and then fit a C20 seperately after it for overload (in a modular box or whatever)

if not then the most you can fit is a B30 or B32 (not sure which one current plugins are) This might be ok it might not its a bit of a close call

failing that its time for a new CU

The cu is 100A, so I can use a B40.

I guess with this configuration there is still a chance that the B40 will trip when using the spot welder. :(

I will try this, if it trips it's new cu time.

Dave

Lectrician wrote:

On-Site Guide Appendix 8 (page 153)
Final radial circuits using 16A socket-outlets complying with BS 4343 (BS EN 60309-2) (Industrial Sockets)

"The overcurrent protective device is to have a rating not exceeding 20A"

pughd said:
The cu is 100A, so I can use a B40.

I guess with this configuration there is still a chance that the B40 will trip when using the spot welder. :(

I will try this, if it trips it's new cu time.

Dave

A B40 and a C20 should have about the same fast trip response so it should be fine

you need the C20 downstream of course to give you overload protection

I just use a type b 20A breaker first and see what happens, my compressor is the only thing that needs a type c.

My welders dont have a problem.

David

SwindonSpark said:
Lectrician wrote:

On-Site Guide Appendix 8 (page 153)
Final radial circuits using 16A socket-outlets complying with BS 4343 (BS EN 60309-2) (Industrial Sockets)

"The overcurrent protective device is to have a rating not exceeding 20A"

Lectrician said:
I would say a C or possibly a D type MCB rated at 16amp would be fine. You could use a 20amp, and this would still be fine, and comply.

I am fully aware of that, thanks. BUT the welder doesn't have to be connected via a plug and socket, so I was wondering why the install instructions say to use a 20amp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back