Connecting a Welder to the Mains

ASJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to run a spur from my cooker cable, out to the garage and in to a blue c-form 32 amp socket. I then plan to plug in my welder which has a recommended fuse rating of 30 amps.

Due to the initial surge of the welder, it has been suggested that I fit a Type D 32 amp MCB in place of the old 30 amp fuse wire at the mains.

Does this sound OK? Should I also fit a PCB in the circuit somewhere?

Sponsored Links
DO NOT use a type D breaker without doing appropriate earth fault loop impedance testing first! I doubt you will find a type D breaker to fit your CU anyway.

also if you must spur off the cooker circuit it would be a very good idea to put in a changeover switch so that the cooker and the welder cannot be used at the same time.

Many for the advice Plugwash. I will certainly add a changeover switch as suggested.

I have managed to find a type B breaker that would fit my CU. Would it make sense to swap that for the existing fuse wire or would I still need to do an earth fault impedance test?

You have a CU with fusewire? :eek:

then it is likely to be very old and quite likely the earthing arrangements and tails are in need of upgrading.

You would do better to have a new CU fitted that's suitab;e for supplying your welding gear, and an entirely new, dedicated cable to the workshop.

Sponsored Links
ASJ said:
I plan to run a spur from my cooker cable, out to the garage and in to a blue c-form 32 amp socket. I then plan to plug in my welder which has a recommended fuse rating of 30 amps.

Due to the initial surge of the welder, it has been suggested that I fit a Type D 32 amp MCB in place of the old 30 amp fuse wire at the mains.

Does this sound OK? Should I also fit a PCB in the circuit somewhere?
Frankly none of it sounds ok, and you sound like you havent the foggiest.

ASJ - What you are proposing is a complete lash up!

From what you describe your existing electrical installation is in need of testing and updating, please for your and others safety contact a few local electricians (get at least 3 quotes) to come and provide a proper power supply to your garage and test/update your existing electrics.

Dan

I recently had the all of the electrics tested and certified by a reputable, qualified electrician, prior to renting the house out for a while. Everything was considered to be safe and OK.

I'm not sure why running a cable through the wall to a socket in the garage is being considered as a complete lash-up? Fuse ... cable ... socket - it's not rocket science ;o).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back