Spotlight fire hazard ?

jonny_throstle said:
The fact that the law is open to interpretation is what makes it confusing and incorrectly quoted on other websites. there are loads of posts on this site alone where people are arguing about whats covered and whats not covered.
The law itself is actually pretty clear and unambiguous. Whether what it says is what the people who wrote it meant to say is another thing...

Why is the average domestic DIYer going to take any notice of this law if they are confident they have done a decent job and are not planning to sell thier house in the next 5 years, and, can say they carried out the work before the law came into place ?
Saying that will get harder over time, but DIYers are not the target of Part P - small/OMB electricians and kitchen fitters, plumbers etc are. Its aim is (was?) to stop the latter from doing electrics and to put the former out of business, but that seems to be getting subverted by NICEIC being prepared to register anyone who can score 80% or more on spelling their name correctly.

My fear is that if it is being seen to fail, DIYers might get caught by even more stringent legislation.

You obviously think its a good law Ban ?
No I don't.

Sponsored Links
Ban-all-sheds wrote:
DIYers are not the target of Part P - small/OMB electricians and kitchen fitters, plumbers etc are. Its aim is (was?) to stop the latter from doing electrics and to put the former out of business,

I can see your point, but were that many electricians going out of business ? Now we (the consumer) have to pay twice as much to get a job done when it might just be simple electrics. I agree that compicated electrics should only be done/certifid by an electrician - i suppose its a case of where you draw the line.

My fear is that if it is being seen to fail, DIYers might get caught by even more stringent legislation.

Thats my fear too.

Nice chatting to you Ban, but i must go now and add a new ring main to my kitchen and install some outdoor lighting. Bye

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back