Hallway spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am looking at installing 3 mains voltage recessed spotlights in hallway at our home. Should I be concerned about the heat rising up to floorboards,is there a minimum depth the joists need to be. Any advice would be welcome,just want no worry about my house catching fire!! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Requirements may vary for different manufacturers.

Do you have a particular fitting in mind? - there will be instrucions in the box, but if you want to know before you purchase, you could google for installation notes

Am looking at installing 3 mains voltage recessed spotlights in hallway at our home.
Are you planning on using 3 because your hallway is huge, or because, being spotlights, 1 won't work very well?

Should I be concerned about the heat rising up to floorboards,
If you have a cat, yes.

You should also worry about your electricity bills.

is there a minimum depth the joists need to be.
The instructions for the lights will tell you.

Any advice would be welcome
Don't try and light your hallway with recessed spotlights.

If you want spotlights then you install spotlights. Don't listen to ban-all-sheds. Hes never seen a proper spot light installation, and has a real mis conception as to how good they really are.

Have a look at LED spotlights. They are very cheap to run, they run virtually cold so there are much fewer issues with heat, and they are virtually maintenence free. Just fit and forget.

Sponsored Links
The hallway is fairly long to be fair and the main entrance to house is on side of house,it's fairly dim to be fair I have 3 in landing and think it would look odd if there was 3 upstairs andonly1 or 2 upstairs. All advice and opinions are welcome be they negative or positive ( no pun intended) :p

If you want spotlights then you install spotlights. Don't listen to ban-all-sheds. Hes never seen a proper spot light installation, and has a real mis conception as to how good they really are.
Au contraire.

You keep telling me how good they really are when you use lots of them.

And that is exactly what is wrong with them, and every time you tell me how well they work when you use lots of them you are proving that I am right and you are wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back