Spotlights - HELP! I think I've made a complete MESS

Sponsored Links
Just had a joiner come to look at this mess, he is supposed to be pretty good.

He said two of the holes I'd drilled in the plaster are infront of joists, the other two are infront of a beam. It's one of these which I'd drilled into which he says is fine.

While obviously not a good thing to do he said nothing is going to fall down 'phew'. He went into a load of mumbo jumbo and lost me a bit but something about new builds using laminate wood as an RSJ which is put between the two beams. Luckily I had only made a small hole in this laminate which he says won't matter at all. The big hole you can see in the photo is in the beam which is ok he says.

He's getting someone else to come over to relocate the spot lights as I've given up doing it now

Because the BCOs tell you the upstairs is a separate fire compartment (though don't point them towards the big hole in your hallway, they don't like you doing that ;) ).
Tell them that if they repeat such incorrect assertions, or act in any way on such incorrect beliefs, or try to make you do anything because of their ignorance, you will report them for gross incompetence to their employer.

Sponsored Links
Tell them that if they repeat such incorrect assertions, ... you will report them for gross incompetence to their employer.
Thanks BAS, but not me I'm afraid, a lighting designer friend. To be honest he just specifies the system and supplies some of the lights so isn't really bothered, and the electricians the client appoints just want an easy life! So BCO wins every time!

Because the BCOs tell you the upstairs is a separate fire compartment (though don't point them towards the big hole in your hallway, they don't like you doing that ;) ).

I have NEVER heard of BCO's saying that, especially in a two-storey situation. If you're adding a third storey (i.e. loft conversion), then yes... and 30min. fire resistance is required, but not between ground and first floors.

Also be careful when you mention "compartment" as that normally assumes 60min. fire resistance (i.e. between flats).

I've seen this method of installation for recessed lights a few times, quite often carried out by electricians.

Its clearly a lack of planing. Quite difficult to achieve a perfect finish when patching the ceiling once moved.

easy now boys he has comprimised one of many floor joists the top string and the web of the joist is still intact , it is not likely he has weakend the floor that much.
Cut out an area of plasterboard a couple of foot long either side of the joist and screw a couple of lengths of 2x2 alongside either side, the total loading of the floor above will be spread across several joists above

easy now boys he has comprimised one of many floor joists the top string and the web of the joist is still intact , it is not likely he has weakend the floor that much.
Cut out an area of plasterboard a couple of foot long either side of the joist and screw a couple of lengths of 2x2 alongside either side, the total loading of the floor above will be spread across several joists above

It looks to me that most of the bottom string has been drilled through and part of the web, its the bottom string that provides pretty much all the downward strength.
The strength of the floor above is totally dependant on the type of construction, if its floorboards (which I doubt with this type of joist) then there's no real problem for the time being, otherwise it will be chipboard and if there happens to be a join on top of this joist then there is basically no strength left and the broken joist and floor above along with the bed, wardrobe, partition wall or whatever may be there are supported by the plasterboard.

The OP called in a joiner to assess the damage who reckons a damaged joist is a problem but a damaged beam is ok. Unless terminology has changed (which I find to be quite likely in recent times) a beam is likely to support a number of joists, in which case it could be a bigger problem than it appears. obviously I can only see the pictures posted so cannot make a proper assessment, your joiner can see the real thing.

Although is doesn't look much like it, this is a piece of precision engineering and I do get very nervous when I see comments like "nail some wood across the sides" and I am pleased you have called in an expert as I have seen far too many botched repairs in structural items and the resultant mayhem when they collapse.

Good luck and I hope the rest of it goes without further problems.

Once upon a time they built houses properly, and a chunk like that out of a length of 6x3 timber with around 20 growth rings per inch wouldn't need a visit from a structural engineer to check that if the place was about to fall down.

Once upon a time they built houses properly, and a chunk like that out of a length of 6x3 timber with around 20 growth rings per inch wouldn't need a visit from a structural engineer to check that if the place was about to fall down.

Spot on :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back