Replacing sealed spotlights with Philips Hue GU10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried to do loads of research before reaching out to this forum in the hope that someone can help.
I live in a new build house that has spotlights in the living room. I am hoping to replace them with Philips Hue GU10 spotlights, but am stumbling at it.

When I try to pull the light down, about 5cm of it does come down, but after that it is impossible to pull it down any further, no matter how hard I yank. I can rotate it a quarter of a turn and then pull it down, but still no joy. I did manage to get the model of the spotlight. It is a Freestyle Living F690. Nothing is given on their website on how to remove it. Was hoping someone here could help?

The fact that it says "Use only with driver supplied" makes me this that there is a driver connected to the light. Which leads me to my second questions - do I need the driver for the Philips Hue, or should I get rid of the driver and connect the Hue GU10 directly to mains?

47bv3hs.jpg

Sponsored Links
It appears they just have the normal springs.

upload_2019-2-22_16-17-21.png

You have probably reached the point where more force is needed to get past the spring horizontal position.

It is likely the ceiling will be damaged.

The web page says 240 volt 50/60 Hz so it would seem from picture it is rather long, may be to comply with fire rating, it also states also complete with remote dimmable driver, it may be a current driver, not fixed voltage, but it would seem separate driver for each lamp in that case. Likely you will need to access from above to remove and replace, but web page has a "Ask a question about this product" so that would seem the best option.

They are likely fitted to comply with L2 on a new build, the lamp must be designed so you can't swap to a non energy saving bulb, rather pointless today as you can't buy them anyway, there is a GU10-L2 with a dimple in bulb so you can't fit non energy saving, a real pain as many LED bulbs don't have the dimple. I don't like the 2" ceiling lamp I think they are too small, I would prefer something like the GX53, or even 2D but I would avoid any extra low voltage (12 volt) as so hard to match power supply to bulb, there are so many options most LED 5.3 lamps do seem to be 50 Hz so AC from non electronic transformer, but not all.

It appears they just have the normal springs.

View attachment 159638

You have probably reached the point where more force is needed to get past the spring horizontal position.

It is likely the ceiling will be damaged.

Any way of removing the bulb without damaging the ceiling? Accessing it from above is almost an impossible thing to do since the upstairs is all carpeted.

Sponsored Links
Not really. It depends how old the ceiling is.

You can only pull straight down until you can see the springs and then hold them in while withdrawing the rest of the light.

Probably better with two people.

Any way of removing the bulb without damaging the ceiling?
There is no bulb. It's a sealed fitting.

If you want to use Philips Hue GU10s, you will need to remove the existing lights, then buy and install new GU10 fittings that are suitable for the Hue lamps.

Inserting a knife in the ceiling to get the springs moving, and then applying brute force, I managed to pull one of the downlights out. Next step is to go to screwfix to get the GU10 fittings. Then take the downlight and driver out and replace them with the GU10 fitting and then install the Philips Hue - for all the 7 spotlights. Then move the drivers and existing dimmer to the kitchen.

I thought it was going to be a half day project - looks like to will take me a couple of weeks at least!

Thanks for all your help.

Don't fancy patching and repairing the ceiling?

Just wondered if it had occurred to you that needing 7 lights to light up a room might indicate that they aren't very good at doing the job of lighting up rooms....

Don't fancy patching and repairing the ceiling?

Should've clarified - When I say inserted a knife into the ceiling, it was in the little clearance between the spotlight and the ceiling, inside the hole. The ceiling is intact!

@Gulz you probably don’t know this, but BAS believes that downlights are the work of the devil. He will consider you are beyond help and you’ll not get any practical assistance from him on the subject of downlights.

@Gulz you probably don’t know this, but BAS believes that downlights are the work of the devil.
That's a bit extreme.

Hollow partition walls and trussed roofs - they are the work of the devil - recessed torch lighting is the responsibility of more minor demons.

He will consider you are beyond help and you’ll not get any practical assistance from him on the subject of downlights.
No, of course not. You'll never catch me advising on, and providing links about, insulation reinstatement, air movement sealing etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back