Spotlights - HELP! I think I've made a complete MESS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:oops: Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it

Yesterday I decided to have a go at installing four spotlights into our hallway ceiling. The plan was to replace the two existing lights and add an extra two.

Thinking it was a good idea I went feet first and started drilling holes and running electrical cable. Unfortunately my brain didn't kick until a good hour later when it dawned on me that the joists were running over the holes I'd drilled :rolleyes:

To be honest I should have quit well before this point but I stupidly carried on and drilled out part of the joist making room for the light.

Now, the spotlights we have are the philips LED ones which luckily don't generate much heat but the back of the case does get quite warm and I'm starting to really worry about starting a fire :( that and me taking a chunk out of the joist has brought me to these forums.

1. Would the lights be ok sat VERY close (but not touching) the joist?
2. Will the joists be ok with this amount taken out?
3. Am I worrying over nothing?
4. Am I not worrying enough and should get an expert in? :LOL:

I've switched the lights on to see just how much heat they do generate and after three hours you can keep your finger on the back but it is quite warm.

am such an idiot :oops:

Sponsored Links
You should have found out where the joists were to start with.

You would be best off:

1. Fill in the holes near joists
2. Strengthen the joists you have seriously weakened by drilling a 2 inch hols up them, by bolting chunky timber to them.
3. Drill new holes away from joists.

Good choice in the LEDs by the way - they are much better than they were.

STOP You have seriously compromised the strength of those joists. You need to get the floor up above and nail some wood across the sides of them very soon.

Yep a problem with the joists strength being compromised either get some good solid wood to strengthen them or a metal brace.

Dont put your lights near to the joists your leds may be cool(ish) but what if someone else puts in ordinary downlighters. Any way by the time you have strengthened the joists with battens you couldnt get that close to them anyway.
;)

If you intend to start again make sure you note where your joists are so next time you can drill well away from them.

Sponsored Links
STOP You have seriously compromised the strength of those joists. You need to get the floor up above and nail some wood across the sides of them very soon.

I think I'd be consulting the building forum right now, as with the amount you've taken out, even the aforementioned works to strengthen the joists may be inadequate.

You're right about the making a mess part, though! :LOL:

Thanks for the replies, luckily I only drilled into one joist. Not done the others yet 'Thank God'

Doesn't look like there's much weight above the hole I drilled. Just some very thin wood which obvously can't have any weight on it. The floor above looks much higher up :confused:

A good start would be to telephone a company that manufactured these joists, swallow your pride and tell them what you have done, I am certain you wont be alone, see what they would reccomend. If you could keep an update going I would be keen to know the outcome.

John

Surely the place isn't going to fall down with a 2" hole driled in to a joist.
OP wont be the first/last person to do this, I'm not saying its OK or anything but surely design of the structure would be seriously flawed if this was the case.
*dawns tinfoil hat* :LOL:
As above, have a word with your local joiner/builder, see what they say.

if it were a standard joist then I dont think it is as much of a worry, this is an engineered joist, basically a batten top and bottom stuck together with oriented strand board bridging the depth.

As above, just pointing out it MIGHT be possible to access the damaged joist from below the ceiling to carry out repairs and reinforcement, replacing the plasterboard and losing your misplaced holes in the process.

Agree about joist BUT all downlighters should be in Fireproof housing and these dont look like that ?.
Good idea about LED lights as they can save 80/90% of energy and 50,000 hrs, Plug and Forget !.
I usually use Osram as they have 15yr warranty.
Have fun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back