Spotlight problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a Kitchen extension 12 months ago and the electrician installed spotlights in the new kitchen. My problem is when a bulb goes and I put a new bulb in, it doesn't work although its a new bulb. I have purchased 10 new bulbs and each one doesn't work. One bulb could be dodgy but not all 10.
I am using Osram Decostar 50w 12v spotlights, the same as was installed originally. Please help. What could be the problem?

Sponsored Links
The transformer(s) have given up. There is likely to be a transformer behind each light fitting transforming the 240v down to just below 12v. Unfortuneatly cheap transformers do not last long, especially when surrounded by insulation - which is all too common.

It is often also the terminal blocks between the transformer and light fitting at fault - loose terminal, overheats, melts or just open circuits due to high resistance.

dingbat";p="764646 said:
Surely this is a wind-up?

Firstly this is no wind up.
Thanx for replies. I am no electrician so haven't got a clue on this subject.
Are the transformers able to be reset or are New ones needed?
thanks again
CK

Sponsored Links
Sorry to say this, but with your lack of knowledge it would probably save you money to call someone in who knows what they are doing. Small independant electricians are not expensive in Cumbria.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back