Spotlights (a mind of their own)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rental property and in the bedroom there are approximately 7 spotlights.

After approximately 10 minutes of them being turned on some of the lights turn themselves off. After approximately 20 minutes they all turn off.

The only way to get them working again is to turn off the light switch, leave them off for about 20mins.

Has anyone got an idea of how this fault can be rectified? Ideally I don't want to have to remove any of the ceiling as it has all been perfectly plastered and finished.

I'm guessing this issue will be something to do with the transformer?

Has anyone else encountered this problem. If so was it easy to reslove?

Sponsored Links
are these lights 240V or 12V?

( looking at lamp markings will reveal)

You may have transformers involved, they may be the cause of the fault.

Can you give any further clarity to "approximatley 7" ?

If the transformers are resetting themselves when the power is removed then at least they are good quality ones.

It is most likely they are over heating and an internal safety device is operating to turn they off.

[1] the lamps have been changed to higher wattage lamps than originally fitted so the transformers are over loaded.

[2] the transformers have been buried under the insulation in the loft ( sunk into or had more insulation added on top ) or something else has reduced their ability to dissapate heat.

Thankyou very much for your response guys.

If the current tenants have put in (for example) 50W halogen bulbs when the original 20W halogen bulbs have gone would this cause the cutting out/over heating?

That will be my first plan of action, to request that the tenants replace any bulbs that are above 20W.

The transformers will be under the loft floor boards so I will lift these to check the transformers to see if they are being suffocated with insulation.

I don't know whether the lights are 240V or 12V ( I have to arrange appointments to visit the property with the tenants). The flat was converted (all new electrics throughout) when I bought it 7 years ago.

There are definitely 7 spotlights in the bedroom.

Sponsored Links
If the current tenants have put in (for example) 50W halogen bulbs when the original 20W halogen bulbs have gone would this cause the cutting out/over heating?

Yes it would.

That will be my first plan of action, to request that the tenants replace any bulbs that are above 20W.

If there is formal tenancy agreement then that should be added to the terms of the agreement.

If the lamps have been changed for "brighter" ones by the tenant and they are 12 volt then no real need to lift the floor boards if the problem ends when the correct lamps are fitted.

Thanks Bernard,

The bulbs are those with the "thin pins" so this would suggest they are definitely 12V.

Can you get halogen bulbs that are less than 20W? Ideally 10W, although I can only find the capsule style bulbs in 10W.

My thinking is that if I put 10W bulbs in then there would be no risk of this problem re-occuring.

Good idea about adding this clause into the tenancy terms of agreement, I'll get onto the management company to include this.

ditto Bernard,

Just hope that the tenants dont moan its too dark after the change and all should be well :rolleyes:

Daz;

I had the same problem in one of my rental places - the bathroom - it was the same all four lights were behaving strangly. It was in part because the tennant had tried to replace with 50W bulbs - but also one of the lamps i changed a couple times but it didnt stop going on/off.

Check the plugs that connect to the top of the bulb - one of mine had a poor connection and had got very hot so after a while it would cause a poor enough resistance in the connection to extinguish the bulb. After it cooled agian the bulb would switch back on. Fixed by getting a new connector from maplin - £2.99...

I have a rental property and in the bedroom there are approximately 7 spotlights.
If you are looking to keep this rental property (or others) for any length of time, it will save you time and money in the long term to get rid of these downlighters.

Tenants fitting the wrong lamps will happen again and again.

Same applies to any other light fitting where lamps of the wrong wattage can be fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back