Spotlights and shaver socket: notifiable work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a look at several discussions but I can't get my head around this. Before I have an unjustified argument with my builder, would you be so kind to clarify this for me?
I'm having my bathroom redone and the builder has called-in an electrician to fit spotlights and a shaver socket.
The shower has ha rainfall shower head which is less than 60cms away from the spolights (ceiling is 240cm high).
Shaver socket is more than 60cms away from shower and basin tap.
It is not a new circuit and it is already RCD and MCB protected.
EDIT: Also, I am in England

Is this notifiable work? Should I be provided with some sort of paperwork for this?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I've had a look at several discussions but I can't get my head around this. Before I have an unjustified argument with my builder, would you be so kind to clarify this for me?
You don't actually say what you are thinking of arguing about.

I'm having my bathroom redone and the builder has called-in an electrician to fit spotlights and a shaver socket.
Ok.

The shower has ha rainfall shower head which is less than 60cms away from the spolights (ceiling is 240cm high).
Presumably you mean 60cms vertically below and as the ceiling is more than 225cm (from floor level) the work is not notifiable although other considerations are still required.

Shaver socket is more than 60cms away from shower and basin tap.
Again, therefore not notifiable although other considerations are still required.
The basin and its taps are irrelevant.

It is not a new circuit and it is already RCD and MCB protected.
EDIT: Also, I am in England
All good then.

Is this notifiable work? Should I be provided with some sort of paperwork for this?
From what you have said it is not notifiable but you should still have some paperwork.

All electrical work should be tested so the electrician may as well give you a copy of the results.

Sponsored Links
I imagine that "a wet floor" refers to a situation in which the entire floor is effectively a giant shower tray - such that everything in the room (below 2.25m above FFL) is in Zone 1 ?

Kind Regards, John
I guess so. The good book focuses on bath rooms that have wet areas that have their own boundaries.
I’m sure there are lots of wet rooms out there with electrical devices that don’t meet the zonal and IP requirements.

I guess so. The good book focuses on bath rooms that have wet areas that have their own boundaries. ... I’m sure there are lots of wet rooms out there with electrical devices that don’t meet the zonal and IP requirements.
Indeed and I'm not sure I've ever really thought about this before. However, as you say, if the entire floor of a wet room is effectively a giant 'shower tray', then I strongly suspect that you may be right that there are plenty of 'non-compliances' out there!

Kind Regards, John

1659981118734.png

1659980704496.png

@EFLImpudence ... That helps a bit, but seemingly only if the (only) 'water outlet' is fixed.

My cousin has a sort-of 'wet room' (certainly no shower tray/'basin') but which, although it does have a 'fixed water outlet' (which I would guess is about 300mm from the 'end wall'), also has a hose (which I guess is at least 1,000 mm long) - so 'common sense'/consistency might suggest that the 'extended Zone 1' probably ought to extend to roughly 1.2m beyond the furthest the shower head (on the hose) could be from the wall - so perhaps 2.2m in total?

Kind Regards, John

The shower has a rainfall shower head
I took that to be a fixed head.

My cousin has a sort-of 'wet room' (certainly no shower tray/'basin') but which, although it does have a 'fixed water outlet' (which I would guess is about 300mm from the 'end wall'), also has a hose (which I guess is at least 1,000 mm long) - so 'common sense'/consistency might suggest that the 'extended Zone 1' probably ought to extend to roughly 1.2m beyond the furthest the shower head (on the hose) could be from the wall - so perhaps 2.2m in total?
Unless you think that when using the hose it is not a fixed head.

I took that to be a fixed head.
So did I, but if it's like my cousin's it might also have a hose.
Unless you think that when using the hose it is not a fixed head.
As I suggested, if Zone 1 is extended to 1.2m from a fixed head, I would have thought that, for logical consistency, it ought to extend to 1.2m beyond the end of the fully-extended hose - which, as I said, might be about 2.2m from the origin of the hose.

Kind Regards, John

So did I, but if it's like my cousin's it might also have a hose.
That is all most showers have and it does not alter the electrical requirements.

As I suggested, if Zone 1 is extended to 1.2m from a fixed head, I would have thought that, for logical consistency, it ought to extend to 1.2m beyond the end of the fully-extended hose - which, as I said, might be about 2.2m from the origin of the hose.
What logic?

If the 'fixed head' moves then it is presumably not a fixed head nor, I would think, can the hose head be left in its extended position.

That is all most showers have and it does not alter the electrical requirements.
You seem to be overlooking/ignoring the fact that we are talking specifically about the situation in which there is no shower tray/'basin' - which is obviously not the situation with "most showers".

As I understand it, in the absence of a tray/basin, rather than saying that Zone 1 then becomes the entire area of room's floor (which is what I originally assumed), there is a 'dispensation' that allows Zone 1 to be restricted to 1.2m "from where the water comes out" (if that is a fixed place). As I said, when there is a hose "where the water comes out" is the downstream end of the hose - so, "for logical consistency", Zone 1 would extend to 1.2m from there (hence probably about 2.2m from the origin of the hose).
What logic?
The logic described above.

Kind Regards, John

You seem to be overlooking/ignoring the fact that we are talking specifically about the situation in which there is no shower tray/'basin' - which is obviously not the situation with "most showers".
Nevertheless, most showers do have a flexible hose and there is no mention of its length affecting anything.

As I understand it, in the absence of a tray/basin, rather than saying that Zone 1 then becomes the entire area of room's floor (which is what I originally assumed), there is a 'dispensation' that allows Zone 1 to be restricted to 1.2m "from where the water comes out" (if that is a fixed place).
Rather than saying Zone 1 is 'restricted', it is extended to 1.2m (from fixed head), in effect, taking over what would be zone 2.
Thus the stricter Zone 1 conditions apply.

As I said, when there is a hose "where the water comes out" is the downstream end of the hose - so, "for logical consistency", Zone 1 would extend to 1.2m from there (hence probably about 2.2m from the origin of the hose).
It might do but there is no mention of nor regulation for long hoses.

The regulation only mentions and applies to 'fixed heads' which a hose is not.

Rather than saying Zone 1 is 'restricted', it is extended to 1.2m (from fixed head), in effect, taking over what would be zone 2.
If there were a shower tray which was 2m x 2m, or 3m x 3m (i.e. occupying most of the room, so much the same as a 'wet room') then everything above it would presumably be Zone 1 (regardless of the nature of the water outlet') - so, in comparison with that, it is a 'restriction' (or 'dispensation').
The regulation only mentions and applies to 'fixed heads' which a hose is not.
Exactly. As far as I can see, there is absolutely nothing in BS7671 which defines Zone 1 when there is no tray/basin BUT a hose (rather than, or as well as, a 'fixed outlet'). I therefore don't know how one can decide the extent of Zone 1 in that situation other than by 'extrapolating' from what they say of the situation in which there is a 'fixed water outlet' ...

... unless, of course, you perhaps have some better idea as to how one can decide the limits of Zone 1 in that situation?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back