Spotlights not working

Success!!
Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• 20220714_125947.jpg
    20220714_125947.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
There is insufficient space bewteen the top of the lights and the wood above. Halogen lights get crazy hot. You may get away with that distance if you changed to LED lamps, but you stand a change of needing the fire brigade as they are. Do not turn them on and turn your back.

There is insufficient space bewteen the top of the lights and the wood above. Halogen lights get crazy hot. You may get away with that distance if you changed to LED lamps, but you stand a change of needing the fire brigade as they are. Do not turn them on and turn your back.

Useful tip. Thanks. The instructions that came with them said 100mm. They are admittedly, about 80mm.
I'll move them a bit further back. There is no overhead boarding at the wall edge.

Sponsored Links
Yes. Just tap in to the two outer wires(switched live and neutral) that go to the bulb holder. Plus the earth, of course.

You’ll not get replacement halogen lamps. So start with those and replace with LED GU10 bulbs when they blow. And they will.
We kept the halogen ones in and, as you predicted, that have blown one by one over the past few months. We've replaced with other halogens that we already had lying around and, some Led ones. Unfortunately, the Led ones have also blown again.

Any ideas why this would happen?

The Leds are presumably a lot cooler running. Would the blowing of an adjacent halogen one cause a 'surge' or whatever and cause the adjacent Led to blow?

In the meantime, we're simply replacing the blown ones with Leds and see how it goes.

Would the blowing of an adjacent halogen one cause a 'surge' or whatever and cause the adjacent Led to blow?
Possibly.

In any case, using halogens is costing you 10x more in electricity.
Dispose of the halogens and replace all with LEDs.

As a decorator, I hate working under most (not all) LEDs. The strobing can be really off putting when, for example, sanding. It is a shame that manufacturers do not have a specification for the strobing. I recall one job, I went for a pee and rather than a stream entering the loo, it looked like individual droplets.

As a decorator, I hate working under most (not all) LEDs. The strobing can be really off putting when, for example, sanding. It is a shame that manufacturers do not have a specification for the strobing. I recall one job, I went for a pee and rather than a stream entering the loo, it looked like individual droplets.
I know this is can be an issue with fluorescent lamps. But not heard of it with LED lamps.

I know this is can be an issue with fluorescent lamps. But not heard of it with LED lamps.

Stand under a LED light and wave your hand back and forth. In many cases you will see the strobing effect.

I do have a Festool site lamp, the strobing is minimal but at £500 (including the tripod), I would have been pretty pee'd off if the strobing was obvious.

IIRC, the big problem with fluorescent tubes in workshops is that they can make spinning table saw blades look like the blade is stationary. They must oscillate at a different frequency to LEDs (read: higher). I have two sets of double fluorescent tubes in my garage/workshop. I do not notice any strobing effect when sanding.

Some double fluorescents have one tube fed conventionally and the other via a capacitor so that the two strobes are out of phase to eliminate the effect.
Some modern ones have electronic high frequency drivers so you don’t see the strobing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back