Spporting ends of T&G floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that normally the ends of floorboards need to be supported. However, if the ends are T&G'd do they need to be supported by a joist, or can the join sit between joists?

Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
You can get away with a little bit of a gap if the last joist in a room isn't quite up against the wall, but I'd recommend no more than 30mm or so.

As to having the end of a floorboard 'flying' between joists, this would be a definite no-no.

Which says...

Because the short sides of the boards don’t have connecting T&G’s for stability between the boards it’s recommended to end every board on a joist.

OK, I'm a bit confused - the short ends are T&G'd, so going back to the original question... Better if on joists, but what if the join isn't above a joist? Do I cut a new end so it is over a joist (but no T&G) OR go with the flow and just assume that the T&G will help to support the board over the gap (22mm thick oak board).

:confused: :confused:

Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
Dave, if you quote you have to quote the whole context:

Oak floorboards of 21mm thick without T&G can be face-nailed on top of the joists (but note maximum space between joists), as long as every board rests on at least three joists. Because the short sides of the boards don’t have connecting T&G’s for stability between the boards it’s recommended to end every board on a joist.

If yours have T&G's all around then you don't have to end every joint on a joist, as long as every board connects with 3 joists.

Thanks for the info. I tried to cut down the quote to the pertinent bits only. Hence, just referring to the bit about ends only. However, the result is the same :D :D :D . So, I'll now start work and not worry about joists.

Cheers
Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back