spray foam insulation in a shipping container

Sponsored Links
Hi Matz,
I have 2 40 foot containers which I store boxed goods and furniture in. I'm getting condensation dropping down in this cold weather. I cut some vents but that didn't solve it- lets damp air in. I have now sealed vents and installed dehumidifiers but they don't work as its too cold! I'd like to insulate and have budget to do the job but what's the best method?
Will using spray on insulation solve the prob do you think? I've heard it just makes it not drip off so much.
Thanks in advance!

You only get condensation from warm moist air. Stop people from living in them.

Haven't read all pages so may be repeating stuff already said.

Condensation can form on metal in an outside environment due to night sky radiation, particularly on clear nights, the metal will conduct heat away to a degree that makes it colder than the surrounding air, unless air contains 0% moisture (doesn't happen), it will condense on any surface colder than it, the cut-off typically being about 12C.

Lining the container on the inside will stop condensation forming on the inside face, it will still occur on any uninsulated internal surfaces, and the outside surfaces.

Sponsored Links
You'll only get condensation if you have warm moist air - exactly what are you really hoping to use it for? (as if we didn't know). :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I think this is misleading, as its suggests an unheated container will not form condensation, which from experience is not true.

You will need a vapour barrier on the inside of the insulation.
Sprayfoam is something like 90% closed cell, so its not really an issue.

I have a uninsulated metal garage, and the form condensation (and in the right weather, a good amount of rain!) which I put down to the fact that of an evening the air outside is colder than the ground and therefore air inside. Water runs in under the door, forms puddles, these evaporate and the form condensation.
Your proberbly getting the same in the container, I presume there just placed on the ground? They have woodern floors, which are proberbly fairly soft/damp if there secondhand containers. Raising them up on bricks to get air flow under might help, but I would be temped to install some large vents to get some good airflow through there, not just messing about vents, you want to open it up and get flow through even on a still day. I cant see the spray foam doing any harm, and it might help, but I would got for decent vents first, and covering the more valuable/sensitive items in polythene.

But I dont know the proper solution, and havent had chance to do any testing with my garage.

Daniel

A shipping container is basically a metal shed and you'll find several threads about condensation in these type of things.
I've got a metal shed which I brought as a quick stopgap and found that it suffered with a dripping roof from condensation. I insulated it on the outside with some leftover kingspan with a corrugated felt on top of that and to this day (several years down the line) it's as dry as a bone.

Back