Spraying large MDF panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice on preventing MDF from bowing when painted, either by roller or spray? These are large slab doors. I have read that MDF will tend to bow, but if both sides are primed at the same time I am hoping I can lessen the problem.
Having never used an HVLP sprayer, I am looking for any help and advice.
I will be buying those paint pyramids to support the panels. Then prime one side, flip over and prime the other. I am hoping that once sealed the MDF will remain stable dimensionally.
Are there any recommended HVLP units? I watched a video on a Huapon brand that seemed to work well. Dilution and straining seem to be the best recipe for success.

Sponsored Links
Is your HVLP a turbine or compressor based?

I have an old Fuji (3 stage) turbine HVLP.

It works very well with precat and 2K paints but 2K paints are isocyanide based and pose health problems. On the up side the paint is touch dry within minutes and can be sanded back in as little as 20 minutes and re-coats can be as little as an hour later (weather conditions depending).

If you plan to spray waterbased finishes, you will need a 4 or 5 stage HVLP. Water based paints are far more difficult to atomise, not only may you need to thin them, you may need to add Floetrol. The HVLP should be supplied with a viscosity cup that will tell you if the paint is thin enough.

Painter's pyramids are great but don't forget about over spray. I work on the assumption that the dry spray can travel up to about 8-10ft. If you spray a door sitting on the floor on painter's the overspray will bounce off the floor and end up on the underside of the door.

I normally spray outdoors, putting the doors on trestles. The downside is that I have to make sure that there is no wind or rain forecast. From time to time insects land on the wet surface and I have to sand and recoat. I can get a decent finish but have to limit myself to no more than a 20% sheen finish.

Hi opps, Thank you for the advice! We have a big room upstairs that could take all three doors and walk around space. No carpet on the floor. I was going to hang thin plastic sheet on the walls with low tack tape. Then have my neighbour help with the flipping over.
I have read a couple of good reviews on the Haupon brand on Amazon. Both reviews stress the need to thin down with water and pour through a micron paint sieve. I'm looking forward to this task, I have a wood cabin in the garden that needs a paint job and spraying would be so much easier than brush or roller.
20% sheen sounds about right for my purpose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back