Prime back of MDF?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm putting up a floating wall in my living room to fix a new TV to and am wondering if it's necessary to prime the back side of the MDF panel before fixing it to the timber frame on the wall? Obviously I'll be priming/ painting the front but since the back will be hidden, I'm wondering if priming is necessary to provide extra protection, or whether it won't make much difference?

Any advice? If it makes a difference, I'm using the green WR MDF.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I don't see any real need to prime the reverse side, although, in theory, all sides of any timber product should receive the same treatment. This helps avoid warping due to different moisture levels being absorbed/exuded on opposite sides but I don't see that as a major problem in this situation.
That said, it may depend on how the board is attached and whether the back may be exposed to moisture (damp in walls, air flow gaps, high humidity room, etc.). If in doubt, a coat of primer will do no harm, with the bonus that you shouldn't need to achieve a perfect finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back