Spraying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, is there someone out there who spray paints inside of a house.
Currently building new house, which will need a lot of painting!!!

Seen something on some house building program that they had this done.
And if anyone knows, what price is it? ;)

Sponsored Links
Spray painting is an area I know little about, but I will tell you what I do know or have come to understand.

First, you really should phone up some architectural firms or some paint stores that cater to professional painters. What seems to be a bit of a problem with spray painting new drywall or the mud joints between sheets of drywall is that the force of the spray gun simply doesn't push the liquid paint into those porous surfaces the way brushing and rolling do, and the result is poorer paint adhesion to the surfaces. Basically, the sprayer blows the paint onto the surface of the paper or mud, but there is nothing to force that liquid paint INTO the surface for intimate contact with it, and you need that latter bit to get as good adhesion of the paint as you would with brushing or rolling.

So, now to an increasing extent spray painting contract tenders will specify something called "back rolling". That's where one guy sprays the paint on, and his helper continuously rolls the freshly spray painted surface with an ordinary paint roller to push the paint into the porous surface being painted.

So, if you're keen on having your home spray painted, then spend some time talking to knowledgeable people about whether "back rolling" is needed. As I say, spray painting is a subject I have very little knowledge of, so there may be things that I'm not considering that would determine whether or not back rolling is entirely necessary.

Sponsored Links
I spray sometimes..it can save time and thus make money but the only spray system worth bothering with is an airless one

I have a fairly small one (spray machine!) but it will still pump paint at around 3.66 psi...xompare that to an average presssure washing machine...which is normally about 1,500 psi..

Its not a machine for an amutuer...they are dangerous and you have to know what your doing of...your looking at arounf 150 quid a day to hire one...if the walls are smooth..use a long pile roller on a pole.

If they are rough cast then spraying isnt always the answer because when the jet of air and paint hit the wall at high pressure pockets of air can gather in the deep pits of the texture causing a vaccume...which stops paint particle from getting in and covering....thats why most people 'back roll' as nester mentioned.

Oh another point...the pressure is enough to pierce the skin....if this happens you will inject paint directly into you bloodstream and you'l have minutes to get to the hospital...could mean certain death...

Not that im trying to put you off of course........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back