springy laminate - what next?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i recently had laminate installed by the builder (or rather the builders joiner) who did our extension. i found that certain areas went down approx 5mm (fibre board underlay over concrete) and so added it to the snag list. The problem is more extensive than i first though and it is really springy in some places especially round the edges. builder is supposed to be rectifying but isnt sure how :rolleyes: .

The kind people who responded to my first post indicated the floor hadnt been levelled adequately, i am really fed up now with this could anyone tell me the best way to rectify this (for my own benefit not the builder!!) can the whole floor be taken up and relaid?

Thinking of asking for refund of fitting cost and getting someone who doesnt have a cse in wood work to do it :evil:

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a liquid latex floor leveling compound might do the trick - be warned does not self level!
Once the sub-floor is level the laminate can be re-layed.

Concrete floors are usually not level, and are usually higher near the walls and dish into the centre of the room, flexing on thin laminate floors therefore is common on concrete subfloors, if the flexing is excessive (5mm is excessive) looks like the floor needs to come up and check the level of the floor by putting a long ( 8 to 10 foot) straight edge over the floor, gaps or daylight showing under the straight edge will show you how unlevel the floor is, if it's all over the place then some form of levelling compound will need to be used, if it's not too bad some filling in with foam underlay may suffice.

Sponsored Links
many thanks for the helpful advice.

have to sayit seems that it is the edges that are the problem in the main (apart from a lumpy bit in the middle!) think i need to go back and see how i can take this forward. Just didnt want to seem as if i were being unreasonable
thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back