Spruce softwood tongue and groove

Sponsored Links
You could use it but not advisable in wet areas. You could fix a thin baton to wall and pin to that or glue as you mentioned.
You would need to be able to keep it in place while adhesive sets.
Fixall or foam adhesive are two options , if I was going to glue it I would use adhesive along with a hot glue gun as this give instant fix while the adhesive sets ( but hot glue alone is not enough).
Needs painting/stain/varnishing asap to seal it.

As above - but I'd firmly advise against using it in any wet room or outside wall.
It was big in the seventies, and we've stripped out lots of true dry rotted T&G seventies panelling, including a kitchen ceiling.

Eddman, good evening.

As above not the best option for reasons stated.

If however you wish to proceed? i would suggest you prime, Undercoat and finish the rear of the board prior to fitting, even then this product is highly susceptible to rot damage even within a short space of time.

Historically, Yes bathrooms were clad internally with so called Tongue and Groove Paneling, but? the material was generally fixed to timber substantial battens and the T&G boards were on a good day pitch pine, or a similar rot resisting timber, even they were primed on all surfaces prior to fixing??

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for responses - i thought it might not be ideal for bathrooms / wet areas - what do you guys suggest as a panelling for a bathrooms? I have since thought about MDF - is that any good for bathrooms? I was thinking of getting big sheets of it and routing grooves to mimic planks....would this need sealing/varnishing too?

thanks foxhole - just worked out how many of those i would need and the price comes in at about £250!!!

Thanks all for responses - i thought it might not be ideal for bathrooms / wet areas - what do you guys suggest as a panelling for a bathrooms? I have since thought about MDF - is that any good for bathrooms? I was thinking of getting big sheets of it and routing grooves to mimic planks....would this need sealing/varnishing too?
Moisture resistant MDF will do. But it still needs to be painted and primed and shouldn't be in contact with the floor where it can absorb any water.

are there any suggestions for cheap wall covering then? Those pvc panels look ok but work out expensive for a room that has ceiling heights of around 2.8/3m! the existing plaster is a bit rough and i want to avoid skimming if possible - thats why i thought about panelling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back