Spruce up black slate floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the 13 year old black slate floor tiles that are looking a bit scruffy now.

Looking for thoughts on sprucing them up....

Like best type of grout of a regrout is recommended and if slate oil is a good idea..?
Thanks.

Attachments

• 1593359839242994304406.jpg
    1593359839242994304406.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 251
Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Well the grout removal tool was good, but the teeth have worn down after 1 floor and several scrubbing. I guess that's normal.

Big problem now is cleaning the tiles after grouting. It's taking forever to clean and takes about 6 scrubbing sessions. I've left it half hour to touch dry but then there's that much grout all over place it takes a lot of scrubbing. May be I'm catching the grout in the tiles and wiping it back on to the tile?
But its uncaliberated slate and not a smooth tile so excess grout hides everywhere! It's a nightmare!
Taken 2 hours to clean it off 2 sqM

Well the grout removal tool was good, but the teeth have worn down after 1 floor and several scrubbing. I guess that's normal.

Big problem now is cleaning the tiles after grouting. It's taking forever to clean and takes about 6 scrubbing sessions. I've left it half hour to touch dry but then there's that much grout all over place it takes a lot of scrubbing. May be I'm catching the grout in the tiles and wiping it back on to the tile?
But its uncaliberated slate and not a smooth tile so excess grout hides everywhere! It's a nightmare!
Taken 2 hours to clean it off 2 sqM

Sounds like a painful process, but once its done, get two coats of sealer on there, thereafter it's a quick wash and a wipe with some sealer every 4 or 5 years.

I was thinking maybe I should have resealed it before regrouting? Maybe that's why the grout residue wouldn't come off?

I was thinking maybe I should have resealed it before regrouting? Maybe that's why the grout residue wouldn't come off?

Yes you should, but to be fair, even when sealed the cement in the grout will stain to some degree. It's a PUTA job but will be worth it when it's done.
How are your knees btw?

Ha yes, bit sore but I did have knee pads thankfully. And every now and then I tried to take pressure off them by stretching 1 leg out

Just finished the tiles and I have to say I'm impressed with the slate seal. These tiles have never looked as good the seal put a shine and an obvious waterproof coating on that I've never seen on these tiles when the were laid by the tiler! I didn't think he sealed them! He said he did when he picked them up from shop half hour before arriving! My foot!

Anyway, only bone I've got now is some strange spots as shown in photo.
I don't know what they are..?
I think they could be from seal not spread evenly? Is it known as spalling where the seal flakes off?

Attachments

• P_20200716_121149_vHDR_Auto_p.jpg
    P_20200716_121149_vHDR_Auto_p.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 198
  • P_20200716_121000_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    P_20200716_121000_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 207
Looks good, it's a long lasting finish as well, some I've put down for customers five years ago still look as good today with no more maintenance than the occasional damp mop.
I've had those marks appear occasionally and I believe it's a growth in the slate, unfortunately with 'natural' products you will get this. Unfortunately they are often invisible until you apply the sealer which brings out the colour and also those, it's all part of the charm.

Sponsored Links
Back