'Sprung' flooring over cracked concrete

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I have purchased an old building and am converting it into a dance studio for my partner, Im a mechanic but getting help from my father who has had a fair bit of experience building and renovating.

The floor to be installed is hardwood installed on-top of foam backed batons.'Sprung dance flooring'
The area that the floor is to be installed in has 2 decent cracks, 1 looks like it has not moved in a long time (Still has level compound or adhesive in the crack from previous floor)
The other crack looks to be newer, or still moving - i think this is the result of one of the tie beams in ceiling being broken which will be repaired.
Is there anything i can do to secure these cracks and stop future movement?
I have excavated part of the slab for plumbing and it appears to be ~50mm slab ontop of another thicker ~100mm slab. Neither have reo in them.
One suggestion has been to rip out the slab and start again, but i just don't have the money or time for this option.

The area will also need to be leveled, (maybe upto 40mm in some spots) sand cement mix was suggested for this, Would self leveler be better? It is a large area tho so it could get quite expensive?

The flooring to be installed is quite expensive so we fear damaging it if the concrete subfloor does continue to move,
Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Difficult to know what you've got?
If the floor is unstable and/or a crack is widening then things will not work out too well for anything laid directly on the floor surface.
What is the "tie beam" that you refer to? Presumably this floor is the ground floor?

SLC can be bulked up to easily cover 40mm - you can spread it in layers.
When the SLC is dry you could cover the floor with a sheet membrane to prevent any damp.

I cant advise you on sprung dance floors - although I do know that they come in fixed and temporary installations.

Good luck with the enterprise - to dance is to live someone once said.

i believe only 1 of the cracks is/has moved recently, it is still less than 2mm wide, .. has anybody got experience or success using any crack repair epoxies?

The floorboards do not sit directly on the concrete, the foam sits on the concrete on the batons, which the floorboard sit onto of..
The floor is advertised as removable,

MultiPro1.jpg

I should go ahead and lay your floor: a 2mm crack is nothing - forget about the epoxy.

Sponsored Links
What is the spacing of your battens?

You should think about locations of pole fixings or ballet bars, incase she wants to expand the services in the future.

In theory the sprung floor will distribute he load better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back