concrete on concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting ready to install tile in a new construction home. They have installed 3/4" hardwood on top of 3/4" plywood on a concrete slab. I need to float a concrete floor 3/4" to keep tile level with hardwood. What is the best method to float the floor? It is in 2 rooms approx. 600 sq. feet.

Sponsored Links
Two possible ways occur to me, one is to use a self levelling compound with the inclusion granite chips to bulk it out. This can be difficult to keep level if you haven't done it before and it is quite expensive. The easiest method is to do what the builder has done before laying the wood and put plywood down first followed by your tiles (stuck with flexible tile adhesive). This is also expensive but is far simpler for a DIYer.

Whatever you do, keep the concrete or screed away from the wooden floor. Concrete etc can create very deep and dark marks on specially Oak flooring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back