I need help !?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need help with tiling in front of my fireplace. There was uneven concrete under old tile that eroded as I removed the tile. I got the floor for the most part level and have run intoo a problem. Levelling the floor ended up with the floor even with the hardwood flooring surrounding the tile area. Therefore, when I lay the tile, the ties will be about 1/4-1/2 inches above the hardwood. I plan on having the hardwood floor carpeted. should I frame in the tile or leave it exposed and have the carpet cover the tile's edges? I am new at this. I layed tile in my kitchen and it came out nice. Here, I am unsure. I need help fast. Also, if I frame in the tile, do I leave a 1/4 inch gap for expansion or not. i am lost here.

Sponsored Links
If you leave the cut edge of the carpet lying on the tiles it will fray. That's if somebody doesn't catch their foot in it first! You need framing. If these are ceramic tiles on a concrete slab they won't move. I would leave a grout sized gap between the tiles and the wooden frame then grout it. If you're going to varnish the frame (and this would be a good idea) do it before you lay the tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back