Spur Fused Unit

This is what i was hoping to do, at the minute i have an extension lead running in trunking up the door frame and across to my TV, it looks crap.
So i thought about trying to get the cable up into the loft and then dropping it down behind the TV. I dont really want to start cutting channels down my walls.

When i cut for the metal socket casing i hopefully will be able to loacte the cables from above easily.

Fingers crossed the socket will be suitable.

My brother has an electics tester so i will pinch that n see.

Sponsored Links
When i cut for the metal socket casing i hopefully will be able to loacte the cables from above easily.

Use a dry lining box

MTMDLB5.JPG

Hi All,

Right i have pinched the multi meter off me brother and the results are in.

Firstly there are 2 red, 2 black and the earth running into the back of the socket. So to suggest a ring.

I have tested using the 200k setting on the tester and disconnected the red / Live from the socket and placed each wire at the same time onto the testers red and black terminals.
The tester settles to 0 Ohms.

This means that the circuit is a ring circuit and i am able to use this double socket to supply the spur.

Is this correct??

Thanks

Hi, Would anyone be able to confirm that my last post is accurate. I dont want to go ahead without my knowing for sure.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Yes, looks like you have a ring, so you are ok to connect a spur to it. Whilst you have a tester out and the cables disconnected, test between neutral-neutral and earth-earth. This is a worthwhile test as it proves that the earthing and cable capacity are as they should be.

With a lower setting on your tester you will get a more accurate reading (something like 0.5 ohms for instance).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back