spur length

brown-nought said:
B-a-s are you sure about 13A for doubles?? (Trips are always limited by a 13a fuse and singles by design but MK specs rate their doubles at 13a per outlet. i.e. 26a)
No they don't. //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=42047#42047

I've racked my brains to justify V.d. concerns and the only case that comes to mind might be under volted fan heaters getting too hot!
Some motors get upset.

Sponsored Links
true but

the supply seems to be in practice almost invariblly over 240V

bearing in mind that appliances are designed for use accross europe i think in most cases a drop of 30V wouldn't be a problem at all

ban-all-sheds said:
No they don't. //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=42047#42047[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the information - very informative. So you could get away with 13A as a pessimistic figure in the V.d. calculation – not so bad.

It’s very interesting when you consider how many kitchens you see with a washer and dish washer etc off the same double socket. Every seen it listed on an inspection report?

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Appliances are not part of the installation.
Yes agreed - I was talking about the provision of only a double socket in a space intended to power two appliances. The question was about the bad design of only providing a double socket.
Anyway I’m getting way off topic.

I see what you mean.

I guess if the designer knew that two loads like that would be connected then he f****d up, and if the inspector knew that the circuit had been "designed" that way, then he should fault it.

If there is no other reasonable provision, then I guess that would also require comment, but if it's just ignorant JP who's chosen to plug two things in when he didn't have to, that is outside the scope of an inspection.

Thanks for all the replies, it's good to see some thought provocative discussion.

ban-all-sheds said:
You might find that disconnection time becomes the limiting factor.

Howie - is this a hypothetical Q, or do you actually need to install a long spur?

Yes, I do need to install a long spur - approx 5m in length. However I have decided to install a seperate ring to a new room and could drop a supply off from this new ring cable to the required socket we have been talking about. Do you think this is a safer option?

if you do then make sure you do a good job of labeling things at the CU

if you have the room then it might be an idea to screw a cuircuit layout diagram to the wall next to the CU (possiblly covered with a sheet of clear acrilic to keep it clean)

having one socket in a room on a different cuircuit from the rest could confise someone working on the install in the future if there is no good information on what is on what cuircuit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back