Spur off a flush fitting socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,I wonder if you can give me some advice.I want to run a spur from a socket that is flush fitted?It is only for a table lamp.The feed is coming from above in steel conduit buried in the wall.I know what cables to use(2.5+cpc).Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'll have a guess at what you want to know since you didn't actually tell us.

You'll need to disconnect the socket front, remove the backbox, then chase out a channel for the cable and new backbox. Fit conduit between original socket and spurred socket, fit backboxes (with grommets) and connect everything up.

If you want the spur and new cable surface mounted then you'll have to cut a small section out from the side of the back-box, fit a grommet in the fresh knock-out and then install trunking to the new socket location.

Thanks for your reply davey.Sorry for being vague.Yes I would like it surface mount for the time being,run in plastic half inch conduit..You say I have to cut a small section out of the back box.If the backbox is recessed into the wall,how do I get the cable into it?The other way,I thought ,is to change it to surface mount backbox then enter the cables through a cut out in the side of the plastic backbox.Then butt up the conduit to the backbox.

You could do either., but keeping the original socket flush mounted will involve you cutting a small section of wall from the side of the backbox so you can get the cable through one of the knock-outs.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back