Spur Socket Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been trying to decipher the legalities of whether I can do some minor electrical work in my kitchen and from what I understand, it seems that I can't.

I am wanting another double socket, something that I wouldn't think twice about doing myself anywhere else in the house (aside from the bathroom, obviously), is my only way to do this legally to pay a Part P certified Electrician?

If that is the case it is really quite annoying, as while the socket is in the kitchen it is a large room and nowhere near any possible water source and I would literally be going from a socket 20cm away, so such an easy job that it seems stupid to have to call out someone.

I will also only be using the new socket for very little power draw, so seems about as safe as it gets.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
In that case, you can do it yourself. Providing it is done safely.
As simple as that?
It is....
Providing you are able to check that your kitchen socket circuit is a radial - in which case yes carry on.
If however, it is a ring final circuit then you just need to ensure that the socket you are taking the spur from is not
itself already a spur - if it is then no you cannot carry out you plan as you propose.

In that case, you can do it yourself. Providing it is done safely.
As simple as that?
It is....
Providing you are able to check that your kitchen socket circuit is a radial - in which case yes carry on.
If however, it is a ring final circuit then you just need to ensure that the socket you are taking the spur from is not
itself already a spur - if it is then no you cannot carry out you plan as you propose.
OK great, there are only two sets of wires behind the socket I am looking to spur from and I have tested for continuity, so I should be ready to go I guess?

OK great, there are only two sets of wires behind the socket I am looking to spur from and I have tested for continuity, so I should be ready to go I guess?
It is often difficult to determine whether you have a radial circuit = GO or a ring final circuit = GO?
You see both radial and ring final circuits could present two sets of cables.
Generally ring circuits have 32A MCB protection - radial circuits have 20A protection but their are variations to that norm particularly with different size cables.
So check the size of the MCB protecting the kitchen circuit - first.
If it is a 32A then see if you can follow the cable from the target socket back from/to the previous/next socket and see if there are two cables
in them - if there is then it is highly likely not already a spur and you are good to go.
If there three cables in either of them then further investigation might be needed.

Not necessarily; it used to be permitted to run 2 x single sockets on a spur; the first single socket on the spur would therefore have 2 cables (from the ring, and to the second spur socket).

In any case you cannot assume that the existing wiring has been done properly; you need to check whether it's a ring circuit and if it is, that the socket is actually on the ring.

... OK great, there are only two sets of wires behind the socket I am looking to spur from and I have tested for continuity ...
What do you mean by "tested for continuity"?

Kind Regards, John
By that I mean I used a multi-meter to check the cables feeding the socket are continuous (neutral to neutral etc, of the two T&E cables), which they are.

What do you mean by "tested for continuity"?
By that I mean I used a multi-meter to check the cables feeding the socket are continuous (neutral to neutral etc, of the two T&E cables), which they are.
Fair enough. That presumably must mean that you have located 'the other ends' of both cables - do I take it that they both go to other sockets?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back