Spur socket through loft space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello DIYNot,

Long time listener, first time caller :D

I've trawled through search and I'm pretty satisfied with my plan but I hoped I could run it by you lot before I proceed.

The problem is like this. Me and the missus just moved into a new house. Our bedroom is a rectangle about 5mx3.5m with windows on one long wall and the door in on the opposite one.

The power sockets (and satellite outlets) are on the short walls at either side but our bed is going against one long wall and the tv will end up on the other long wall.

As a result I need to get power and satellite points onto the long wall opposite the bed. There's fitted wardrobes down one side and a door on the way the other side so an extension cord along the skirting is gonna look pretty pants.

My plan is as such
- run 2.5mm cable down short wall to a plug socket on the ring
- spur on that
- then run through the loft clipped onto a board across the rafters to come down the brace onto the internal long wall where we need the power
- run the cable down that wall into a box and wire the socket

Similar plan for the satellite cable.

This will give us power and satellite side by side on that wall. Does this sound pretty solid?

The total distance is around 2m up the wall, 2-3m across the loft and 1.5m down the wall - around 6m total. The house is a new build so no reason to imagine there are any other spurs on the ring.

A few questions
Is that distance okay to cover with 2.5mm or better with 4mm?
Am I missing a better way to do this?
Does this socket need fusing? If so are there double sockets with a fuse built in or do I install a FCU in line with the double socket and loop cable from the load side of the FCU to the double socket?
Is there any need for a conduit here or does the cable hang loose in the partition?

Big thanks for any help you can provide

Tom

Sponsored Links
Wait for expert advice, but I'm in A new build and had a similar issue to you.

I found it much easier to run a socket from the "lighting" ring.

It's high up behind the tele so no chance of the hoover ever been plugged into it.

Much easier to pull across the ceiling and down the wall!

Hello DIYNot,

This will give us power and satellite side by side on that wall. Does this sound pretty solid?

The total distance is around 2m up the wall, 2-3m across the loft and 1.5m down the wall - around 6m total. The house is a new build so no reason to imagine there are any other spurs on the ring.

A few questions
Is that distance okay to cover with 2.5mm or better with 4mm?
Am I missing a better way to do this?
Does this socket need fusing? If so are there double sockets with a fuse built in or do I install a FCU in line with the double socket and loop cable from the load side of the FCU to the double socket?
Is there any need for a conduit here or does the cable hang loose in the partition?

Big thanks for any help you can provide

Tom
Run it off an FCU. 2.5mm will be fine

Sponsored Links
Run it off an FCU. 2.5mm will be fine
Cheers chivers. Does it matter much which end the FCU goes on? If i put in to the right of the donor socket then ran the cable straight upwards would that be alright or does it have to be closer to the spur socket end? I think it's gonna look tidier on the donor end.

Right gotcha. I didn't think you could run more than one socket on a spur. I must be mistaken.

If I was to take a spur off the socket and run two double sockets from there how would the wiring work? Do I run the cable into on and then off the same connectors into the other or should I install a junction box in the loft and run from the spur cable to two sockets from that?

An unfused spur can feed one single socket, or one twin socket. As explained by EFLImpudence
Cool. If I FCU at the donor end then I can daisy chain two double sockets on the end of the spur? Thanks for your help

Cool. If I FCU at the donor end then I can daisy chain two double sockets on the end of the spur? Thanks for your help

Yes, you can, but the total load on the new sockets would be limited to 13A (approx 3kW)

Yes, you can, but the total load on the new sockets would be limited to 13A (approx 3kW)
Wicked. It'll be the LED tv, sky box and DVD player so should be dandy. Thanks very much stem, EFL and Chivers.

Wait for expert advice, but I'm in A new build and had a similar issue to you.

I found it much easier to run a socket from the "lighting" ring.

It's high up behind the tele so no chance of the hoover ever been plugged into it.

Much easier to pull across the ceiling and down the wall!
Thanks for the suggestion man but I'd rather leave everything really clear for everyone else in the future. If I turned off the socket ring to change that faceplate and it was still live I'd be slightly peeved.

Then you just write on it? A sparky did mine and was happy with it. I didn't want to mess up the walls in my new build. I'm fully aware where it's connected, I can isolate via an fcu in the loft - and can (if I wanted to) put a sticker on the socket highlighting that.

Each to their own :)

Then you just write on it? A sparky did mine and was happy with it. I didn't want to mess up the walls in my new build. I'm fully aware where it's connected, I can isolate via an fcu in the loft - and can (if I wanted to) put a sticker on the socket highlighting that.

Each to their own :)
I think the risk of me having a brain fart and forgetting which circuit it's on is enough to put me off - you're a better man than me

Assuming the short wall is plasterboard you could fit an extra socket there, split the ring and recomplete the ring by running two cables picking up your new sockets as many as you want

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back