Suitable socket for a spur?

mav

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to add a spur on the opposite side of a stud wall to an existing socket. I've done a search and found that I need to have two cables running to the socket for it to be suitable.

When I loosened off the faceplate, I saw there are two cables running into the wall box, but there were two live cores and only one neutral and one earth.

Is this socket still suitable to take a spur from?

Keith

Sponsored Links
I've done a search and found that I need to have two cables running to the socket for it to be suitable.

And even then you can't be certain without further investigation. It used to be permissible to have two sockets wired as a spur from a ring, so the presence of two cables is not conclusive evidence that the socket you're looking at is actually on the ring itself.

And even then you can't be certain without further investigation. It used to be permissible to have two sockets wired as a spur from a ring, so the presence of two cables is not conclusive evidence that the socket you're looking at is actually on the ring itself.
... and nor do two cables even prove that it is a ring at all - all but the 'end' socket(s) on a radial circuit will also have two cables.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
... and nor do two cables even prove that it is a ring at all - all but the 'end' socket(s) on a radial circuit will also have two cables.
Kind Regards, John.

....unless it's wired as a star (spider) - then they'll all just have one cable in them. :)

....unless it's wired as a star (spider) - then they'll all just have one cable in them. :)
That's not really an 'unless'. What I said is still right - with the star/spider there are just lots of 'ends' (and no sockets which aren't 'ends') :)

Kind Regards, John.

Thanks for the education on the different possible methods of wiring sockets, so is the answer that I need to be paying someone to do the job for me?

Yes as already said it has not been wired correctly in the first place :(.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back