Adding a socket to an existing spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am wanting to add a double socket in the living room. The only obvious socket to spur this new one off of turns out to be a spur itself - (only 1 supply cable) I know that a spur off of a spur is not a good idea. If I fit a suitable FCU after the existing socket and before the new one, is this a suitable solution?

Billy52

Sponsored Links
As Steve said you can run two or more sockets off a FCU.

However, take into consideration what load you are planning off the spured socket(s).

The FCU will have 13A so the load on the spur needs to be no greater than 3000 watts.

The new socket will be only used for a table lamp, so no bother there! Many thanks for your help guys. :)

Sponsored Links
Obviously a table lamp will be fine. 3000W is quite a high load in the lounge area. If it was a kitchen then advice would be different.

However, I forgot to mention in my last posts that although you may use a light load do take consideration what a future owner of your house COULD use it for. IE if it was in a position so that somebody were to plug a electric fire or another likely large load.

Your situation is probably fine, but it is good practise to think of all potential future considerations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back