Spuring plug using a junction box?

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Evostance, 10 Mar 2016.

1. Evostance

Evostance

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I need to spur a plug, however due to the location of the new plug, every socket is a complete pita to get to. The easiest one to get to has been fully plastered into the wall, which makes trying to get a new cable into it a nightmare.

I then came across this site which appears to say you can wire into a junction bob under the floorboards and feed the wires into that, so there would be 3 wires entering - 2 for the sockets and one feeding:
    http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/electrics/socket-outlets-spur-from-a-junction-box.html

I thought, and maybe I thought incorrectly that you weren't allowed to do this as all JBs had to be accessible?

Can someone advise please as it'd make life a hell of a lot easier if I can do that.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. EFLImpudence

EFLImpudence

Thanks Received:
    Portugal
  4. john4703

john4703

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I looked at the link and the bit I liked (sarcasm) was the simplistic "47. Check your new socket to ensure that it is working properly.". I'd like to see a lot more details on how to test the circuit than that.

5. Evostance

Evostance

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  6. EFLImpudence

EFLImpudence

Thanks Received:
    Portugal
    You have to buy several different pieces of Wago plus the box but I believe they do count as MF.

Why bother?

7. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You don't spur plugs. You can spur sockets however.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The box with cable grips is required when taking a spur from a plug to hold the flex, in the main however using in line switches seems to be the favourite way, I have some Ikea spot lights which do it that way. However you state "under floor boards" that is not permitted, from the plug all cables should be visible. You can hide cables up to the socket, but after that point they should be visible and in free air for cooling.

9. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

10. Sponsored Links