swapping a fused spur for a plug socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have already posted this but i didnt think i made myself clear..so here goes again

I have a 13a fused spur unit with three wire sets coming in at the back, that is powering a plug that will very soon be hidden by a new fireplace, and thus becoming useless. rather than move the plug socekt (which would involve lifting carpet etc) i thought the easiest thing to do would be to replace the fused spur unit with a plug socket.

so to do this..i guess i remove the cabling that is going to the spured socket and then simply wire the new plug socket into the ring. Leaving two wire sets the back of the new plug....does that make sense and can it be done

Sponsored Links
It makes a certain amount of sense, but if the fireplace is being built in the area where the spurred socket is and is going to be buried never to used again and the only thing stopping you disconnecting it was pulling up the carpet and a few floorboards, I'd be taking that option.
Are having a new fire installed too and what fuel will it run off?

Sponsored Links
if the fire is fixed in place then you can't do it.
it constitutes a hidden / inaccessible joint.. you cannot hide screw connection joints..

if you're never using it again then crimp the wires together and fit a blanking plate..

I think the OP means that the FCU or SFCU is in an accessible position, with the socket that will become inaccessible connected to the load side of the FCU/SFCU......

as sdavies says, the existing fused spur will remain accessible; the spurred socket you wish to remove will not be accessible. where's the problem? you will be removing the the output wires from the fcu, you connect the input wires to your new single socket. discard the old fcu.
at the fire end remove the old single socket. both ends of this redundant cable can be cut off, or could have terminal blocks and tape applied on the ends and kept for future use.
don't imagine you want to pull up floorboards to remove a dead cable.

Is this 13A spur on a RING circuit. And can you confirm that the two supply cables are definitely opposite ends of the ring and that the cable to the socket is on the LOAD side of the 13A spur?

Probably, but just checking. It's just that 13A spurs aren't always required when spurring a socket off a ring, so you could have a different set up.

I have a 13a fused spur unit with three wire sets coming in at the back,
Two to the input and one from the output maybe
that is powering a plug that will very soon be hidden by a new fireplace, and thus becoming useless. rather than move the plug socekt (which would involve lifting carpet etc)
This socket the one you want to remove has one cable I presume from the output of the spur unit.
i thought the easiest thing to do would be to replace the fused spur unit with a plug socket.
you want a single socket in the place of the fused spur.
so to do this..i guess i remove the cabling that is going to the spured socket
can you remove totally the cable from the fused spur unit to the spurred socket as well as the now unrequired spurred socket
and then simply wire the new plug socket into the ring. Leaving two wire sets the back of the new plug.
you would like to fit a single socket front where the fused spur originally was, it now has two sets of cables as you have removed the third set, that you can confirm only went to the now removed socket.
does that make sense and can it be done
Sounds feasible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back