Spurious Voltage on 2 way switch??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, ive seen this topic come up from doing a google search on other forums but thought id ask for help on here!! the voltage is not induced from multimeter, I will say that now :)

Purchased some LED gu10 bulbs and they remain on extremely dim when both switches in on position! replaced both switches and fault still there!

had both ends of common disconnected and had 160 volts present???
when all back together and with lights uncommanded 'on', there is 45 volts on blue wire when should 0 volts.

concentrating only on the 45 volts on blue wire, I replaced the wire with a jumper lead and lights work as advertised in every configuration so there is def some line to line but doing futher con checks, there were no line to lines, all were meg ohms to eachother?

find attached 2 pics to illustrate..... there was 20/25 volts floating when lights were off but that seems common because other light was that!

Help much appreciated! if not answer is clearly leave in config where lights are actually off in off position i suppose!! dont like excepting that though!

one last point to add, i took light fitting off and one of the neutrals was giving me 207 volts the other 245 volts, measured to the live Terminal block!

Sponsored Links
cheers.............. Thought a proper insulation/resistance (a mega) tester was supplied by its own dc battery??

yes of course normally wouldnt use a fluke unless a direct line to line fault!

so answer is clearly insulation breakdown??

good job i do all my house mods using aircraft spec cable :D

so answer is clearly insulation breakdown
NO the insulation is, if you were getting high megohm resistance values, perfectly OK

Any two conductive items close to each other have have capacitive coupling between them. Changing the voltage on one item will induce a change of voltage on the other. The closer they are the more "coupling" or capacitance there is between them. Materials like PVC even though insulation can increase the capacitance ( this is the dialectric effect ).

The amount of energy that is coupled is very small but is enough to "glow" an LED lamp and appear as a voltage on digital meter. On a moving coil meter the voltage will appear to be far lower as the meter uses some of the energy to move the needle.

Sponsored Links
160 VOLTS is very high tho for induced voltage with both ends of wire disconnected, dialetric? its not co-ax! well maybe the house wiring requires screening ? cheers for help!

160 VOLTS is very high tho for induced voltage with both ends of wire disconnected, dialetric? its not co-ax! well maybe the house wiring requires screening ? cheers for help!

If you put 230volts AC onto one side of any capacitor there will be 230 volts on the other side of the capacitor if nothing is connected to it. The reason you are reading 160 or 43 volts and not 230 is because the impedance through the capacitor and the resistance of the meter form a voltage divider.

Also aircraft specification cable may not be suitable for domestic wiring.

Still a fault regardless of tech gargen is said! im not a house sparky but am a avionics/lecky on aircraft!

im happy with how i have rectified the snag!

If you put 230volts AC onto one side of any capacitor there will be 230 volts on the other side of the capacitor if nothing is connected to it!!

Thats obvious but both ends are floating in thin air, voltage has been induced on line, no capacitance theory in my mind!

dont wanna argue over the matter, people trying to show how clever they are/or not!

Can it be rectified or not??

I'm waiting for someone to post "4 diodes in a bridge".

I'll get my coat...

Thats obvious but both ends are floating in thin air, voltage has been induced on line, no capacitance theory in my mind!
Must be magic then.

dont wanna argue over the matter,
Excellent, and simple to achieve - just leave it.

people trying to show how clever they are/or not!
Or not.

Definitely some not going on here.

Can it be rectified or not??
You need to rewire the house with rocket spec cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back